How to choose the right PA school.. and how important is $$$ tuition???

The biggest criterion is whether or not the school's mission/vision is in line with your own. Are you surgery oriented, primary care oriented, rural/underserved? These things will play in (but don't make them a deal breaker). Is the school training PAs just to make them a few bucks or are they really interested in turning out quality providers? What kind of teaching will go on - is it all PowerPoint lectures by people who couldn't care less, or is it a variety of methods including hands on? Here is also helps if you know how you learn best. Tuition is a factor - but in the end I don't remember how much I spent on tuition and I don't particularly care - I know it was reasonable and I got a stellar education. Geography can also play into your decision - you don't necessarily want to move all the way across the country leaving your support system behind.

So, there's a lot that goes into it. You will need to determine what the make-or-break criteria are for you. It's all individual. Good luck.

Andrew

The biggest criterion is whether or not the school's mission/vision is in line with your own. Are you surgery oriented, primary care oriented, rural/underserved? These things will play in (but don't make them a deal breaker). Is the school training PAs just to make them a few bucks or are they really interested in turning out quality providers?

Couldn't have said it better. I looked at mission/focus and applied to the 3 schools i felt lined up with what I want to do. Also, I looked at quality of graduates, students and applicant pool. Of course I looked at tuition, but in the end, are you gonna let money get in the way of your dream? To me, becoming a PA is greater than debt incurred during school.

Sorry - that list is the way to determine what school you want to go to. Basing your decision on simply tuition or first time PANCE pass rates is not going to yield you a good decision. It's all about how you fit with the school and how the school fits with you. I suppose the only other way you can make your decision is to see what schools you *might* want to go to (without researching their mission/vision statements which are available online or by request you'll have to guess) then apply to those schools and see how they fit you when you get the interview. That's the only other practical way to figure out which school you want to go to. Good luck with that. I'll just say that the internet and the school specific section of this forum are good resources for gaining insight on the schools you're considering.

Andrew

Ah yeah. I mean I know what you're saying, but here's the thing - I applied to 9 schools and have received multiple invites, and am now trying to choose the right one based on my options. Yes location, mission, reputation (that I know of) were the major deciders. Now that I may have multiple options (accepted to one and still interviewing) it's a bit harder knowing, what interviews should I go to, and if accepted, where should I end up???

I would recommend that you pick the one that you feel will give you the better education. Now that you've interviewed at least once, you should have a good idea about that - if not, maybe those are the questions you need to be asking at future interviews. Reviewing course lists might help (should be available on line). If everything else is completely equal, I would pick the one that is physically closer to your support system - family, friends, hometown, etc. Staying sane during PA school is hard enough.

Good luck - sounds like you have quite the decision process coming.

Andrew

I essentially applied based on:

-Required prereqs

-Required HCE > 1k

If I get into multiple schools it will based on:

-Resources (good clinical sites, hospital based)

-Facilities (new, modern, money being put back into the program)

-Cadaver lab access

-General feel/vibe

I don't qualify for a state school so private tuition is my future. They're all about the same give or take a few thou, which is a drop in the bucket for overall tuition and COL. Mission statement? Mehh.... I feel like there a couple schools that are VERY focused, to the point where its practically in their name. The rest seem to be generally primary care based, but if you look at what their graduating classes are going into..its varied. So that's not really a factor for me either.

First, congrats! It's good to have options, right? I am in the same boat you are, and I'm going to all of the interviews. It's pricey, but I feel it's the best way to actually get a feel for the program and its people. I did all of the mission statement/location/etc criteria to choose those schools in the first place so it seems visiting is really the only step left. I've had three interviews already and interacting with the students, faculty and program director has been invaluable. Plus I used the chance to scope out the city to see where I'd live and what my husband could do there. (He said he'll go where I want, but obviously I want him as happy as possible!)

I guess price is a factor but it's not something I'm really considering. In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't seem like something to fret about. Is 60K expensive? To me, yes. My brother is going to a 3-year law program for almost half that. Half, people! That's insane. 80K would just be that more ridiculous, but I'd pay it if that's the tuition the school I really wanted to go to charged.

Good luck making your decision!

Archived