Do the PA schools care if you have a bachelors degree? Or subject it is?

Nahh...

Typical internet BTDT lingo...

One hilarious part of this conversation is that still in 2011... there are folks who still believe that the key to MD/DO school is a "science based degree." Its funny, because these folks usually think they are well read and researched... but failed to realize that the majority of medschools moved away from recruiting strictly science based applicants in the late eighties. The notion was that healthcare needed diverse humanists and real people with highly developed social skills instead of the traditional "Gunner," lab rats with the personality disorders and emotional dwarfism.

Now most of those programs are filled with 1/3 non-science majors, some "non-trads" and science majors.

Well I can't really say much more. All I can do is encourage the OP to go to various schools websites and info sessions and ask specifically what their preferences are. I think that he or she will hear quite often that, while the degree name does not matter much, the more science the better, which can be gained by getting a degree in science. I am just offering the insight I have gained from learning as much as I can about what schools say they are looking for in a candidate. I am not opinionating, but if you see it that way then I guess you can have that opinion. And if Vaston still wants to say that I am insulting contrarian then I would be more than willing to have this thread pointed out to the administrators to see if I am the one saying anything inflammatory or insulting.

First, I did not insult Contrarian. Unless you can specifically state where I did this then I don't really appreciate the accusation.

"Contrarian, I would throw your advice right back at you "read more" as in, go to schools websites and read that they do put stock in how much science applicants have had and done well with."

Second, I didn't make claim to knowing more about the profession itself, only that I know what many schools say they are looking for in a candidate.

And yet your continued arguments in the face of experience suggest you feel otherwise.

Third, I don't feel the need to never disagree with somebody just because they participate as an adcom. I did not disrespect Contrarian, I merely disagreed with him/her.

Please refer to the first comment. I never said you shouldn't disagree, I did say you should avoid insulting. In fact, I disagree with Contrarian a many things, but not this one.

I also never stated that there wasn't diversity in degree backgrounds. All I said is that all things being equal, many schools state they they like when students have had more sciences. That doesn't mean that those applicants will always get picked over other majors. Just that it is ONE thing that they might look at. We don't need to argue this point. Just visit websites of random programs and tell me that a good lot of them don't say this. I can only comment on what schools SAY they look for.

Please refer to the second point above.

If these schools act differently than what they say then I guess I can't offer much more on the topic. Contrarian can definitely stick up for him or herself and is not the kind of person that needs an ego stroke.

He is very proficient with sticking up for himself, I'm fully aware that he doesn't need my help. I'm not on this thread to stick up for him, simply to offer perspective based in experience.

I appreciate all that Contrarian brings to the forum, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to disagree on certain issues.

Again, nobody said you don't have the right. Simply suggesting you try to avoid certain things when you respond.

Hope that helps

Well I can't really say much more. All I can do is encourage the OP to go to various schools websites and info sessions and ask specifically what their preferences are. I think that he or she will hear quite often that, while the degree name does not matter much, the more science the better, which can be gained by getting a degree in science. I am just offering the insight I have gained from learning as much as I can about what schools say they are looking for in a candidate. I am not opinionating, but if you see it that way then I guess you can have that opinion. And if Vaston still wants to say that I am insulting contrarian then I would be more than willing to have this thread pointed out to the administrators to see if I am the one saying anything inflammatory or insulting.

There is a lot more to applying to PA school than a degree. There is also work experience, HCE, life experience, your narrative, interpersonal skills, your interview....A degree is just one component. I don't know how adcomms weigh everything when choosing who to interview and select for a class, but there is more out there than just a degree. For reference, I have the much maligned accounting degree and I only took the minimum science classes required.

And if Vaston still wants to say that I am insulting contrarian then I would be more than willing to have this thread pointed out to the administrators to see if I am the one saying anything inflammatory or insulting.

There happens to be many ways to insult someone. Directly attacking them or their character is one, which you did not do. Suggesting to someone that they don't know what they are talking about despite many years of experience by using lines such as: "I would throw your advice right back at you "read more" as in, go to schools websites and read that they do put stock in how much science applicants have had and done well with." That turns out to be another way of insulting someone, their superior knowledge and years of experience. Something for you to consider.

Vaston... Thank you... but please just let it go.

You will have completed your program, and resigned from a few PA positions before some of these folks actually get your point.

Notice the ones who have yet to actually get into a program are debating the validity of their obviously learned and experiential opinions about what you have been doing and what I am doing and teaching.

Its "Folly"...

Contrarian

Btw... if someone cares to do a search... I seem to remember there actually being a very, very long thread (probably archived) here where lots of folks who were accepted into programs listed their undergrad degrees.

To the OP...

Do a advanced search of this site.

Type in "Best Bachelors Degree".

You may notice that the assertions of two people here claiming that you should get a specific degree because it will somehow influence your chances of admission ... aren't PA students or PAs... so really don't know what they are talking about. As their assertions and notions directly contradict the experiences of dozens upon dozens of actual PA students sitting in classes across the nation or those who have long been PA-Cs.

Do the search...

sure glad I got in without a degree...seems to be the easiest way. No hard decisions...just spent a career gathering experience and they gave me a key to the school house...well...they gave me and my other 26 classmates keys.

to the OP...behavioral health is a HUGE portion of primary care...maybe not displayed as a chief complaint but defiantly a contributing factor. A psychology degree will not only help you with patient care, but also interpersonal skills/bedside manner/team interaction. Sometimes it feels like the folks with the high science GPA are really good at talking to microscopes. Nothing wrong with that..the world needs researchers and scientists...medicine wouldn't be where it is today without them. But I am still stuck in the rut that if you are going to work that bloody hard to score top marks in a hard science degree..just stop beating around the bush and go to med school. But that horse has been beat to death already.

You can extrapolate these notions to PA school admission since we usually mirror their processes.

The BEST Majors for Admission to Medical schools

Many people assume that getting into medical school requires a pre-medical school major, but this is not necessarily the case. In fact, the percentage of pre-med graduates that actually go on to get accepted to medical school is about the same as graduates with other majors. A study published by John Knox College in 2000 showed that the percentage of applicants accepted into medical school in 1999 differed very little across various majors nationwide. In other words, a pre-med major was not more likely to get accepted into medical school than someone majoring in economics or English. There are, however, some majors which will better prepare applicants for success in medical school once they are accepted.

Read more: The Best Majors for Admission to Medical School | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_5831835_majors-admission-medical-school.html#ixzz1ZJrt7H1H

Non-Science Majors

• The percentage of non-science majors accepted into medical school fits well with the assertion of the need for graduates to have a broad breadth of knowledge. Students with a strong background and success in the sciences need not necessarily major in the sciences to get accepted into medical school. The percentage of applicants accepted to medical school among non-science majors was 45.5 percent, only slightly lower than the percentage among science majors and interdisciplinary majors. Of the non-science majors, the field of anthropology was the field with the highest acceptance rate at 53.5 percent. History, English, economics, and philosophy were also well-represented among the non-science majors at a rate of 50 percent or better.

Read more: The Best Majors for Admission to Medical School | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_5831835_majors-admission-medical-school.html#ixzz1ZJreKSxV

Wow.. I appreciate the helpful knowledge. Being that i am only a freshman i still have time to change my major (if i wanted to) to a technical science degree if it is really a strong suit in my application, but hearing that some of yall have gotten accepted with such non-science degrees gives me comfort in pursuing the major i have choosen (psychology) a field that i am interested in.. this did help answer my question

I'm curious corymedgar how did you answer that question when asked what your history degree will bring to the table?

I brought up several points:

The biggest advantage to the History degree was the vast amount of communication (both written and verbal) that is required to succeed in the History field. The written communication skills and the ability to succinctly provide information is going to be huge in communicating with other healthcare professionals through H&Ps, charting, etc.

The History degree also requires the student to be well-rounded in regards to the history and culture of multiple world regions. The ability to more fully understand the culture of various people groups (and how those cultures affect the various opinions towards modern healthcare), is an obvious necessary skill in the growing multicultural world we now live in.

So while History wasn't a hard science, it definitely has helped to prepare me for my future as a PA. Granted I took many more science classes than the required prereqs (the degree of flexibility the History major offers is extremely useful for this!) so that might have helped the positive outlook the Adcom had towards me. But i truly feel that it was my prior HCE that proved to be my biggest advantage (working in a Level 1 Trauma Unit, multiple medical experiences overseas). I think a well-rounded, experienced individual is a far better applicant than someone who merely has a great GPA in a hard science degree (but that's just me and I'm obviously biased!).

I brought up several points:

The biggest advantage to the History degree was the vast amount of communication (both written and verbal) that is required to succeed in the History field. The written communication skills and the ability to succinctly provide information is going to be huge in communicating with other healthcare professionals through H&Ps, charting, etc.

The History degree also requires the student to be well-rounded in regards to the history and culture of multiple world regions. The ability to more fully understand the culture of various people groups (and how those cultures affect the various opinions towards modern healthcare), is an obvious necessary skill in the growing multicultural world we now live in.

So while History wasn't a hard science, it definitely has helped to prepare me for my future as a PA. Granted I took many more science classes than the required prereqs (the degree of flexibility the History major offers is extremely useful for this!) so that might have helped the positive outlook the Adcom had towards me. But i truly feel that it was my prior HCE that proved to be my biggest advantage (working in a Level 1 Trauma Unit, multiple medical experiences overseas). I think a well-rounded, experienced individual is a far better applicant than someone who merely has a great GPA in a hard science degree (but that's just me and I'm obviously biased!).

Thanks for the reply I can see how that does help. I am fully for the well-rounded individual notion and agree that diversity goes along way in the field.

Physician55: No I am not enrolled in Nova Orlando PA Program why do you ask?

Wow.. I appreciate the helpful knowledge. Being that i am only a freshman i still have time to change my major (if i wanted to) to a technical science degree if it is really a strong suit in my application, but hearing that some of yall have gotten accepted with such non-science degrees gives me comfort in pursuing the major i have choosen (psychology) a field that i am interested in.. this did help answer my question

Good, I'm glad. Stick with it. I have never regretted being a psych major - I learned to think critically about what I see and read, to tolerate ambiguity, to communicate effectively, and to appreciate diversity. All of those things are helping me rock PA school.

:=D:

Hey there fellow Red Raider! I just graduated from Texas Tech in May, and I was also a psych major =) I submitted my applications for PA school this cycle and I'm currently waiting to hear back right now, but as many of the more experienced posters (who are either current PA students or practicing PAs) have already pointed out, you can be any major and apply as long as you have the prerequisites required by each school. What is more important for many PA schools is the amount of exposure and experience you have in healthcare. Although all of the PA schools in Texas do not require direct patient care experience, you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't have any, especially if your GPA or GRE scores are on the low end when you apply.

You can definitely major in psychology and get all the prereqs for med school or PA school done, by the way, and still graduate on-time in four years. I even had time to study abroad in Shanghai, China for an entire semester! Just plan your schedule well and make sure you don't load up on too many courses (especially during the semester you're taking biology because Dr. Dini's class is a killer!) If you're worried about the psych classes looking too easy, I highly encourage you to take the psychology courses available through the Honors College. They're much more rigorous but also a lot more fun and interesting to take; many of them are seminar-based so there's lots of discussion going on and not so much straight powerpoint lectures.

Your patient care experience should help tremendously, especially if you continue to work as a CNA throughout college since that's more hands-on patient-wise than pharm tech is. And don't forget to keep up your grades and try to fit in a few community service activities! I worked with Hospice of Lubbock and Lubbock Rape Criss Center when I was at Tech and both of those organizations are full of wonderful people and you will get to do a lot with them. My volunteer work with hospice definitely changed my outlook on things and I loved working with the patients and their families.

Archived