rescinding a job offer acceptance

all decisions are made with imperfect information.

an offer was made in good faith, your acceptance was give in good faith.

if you back out of your commitment,well, don't think that looks too good on your character. I think you'll eventually get burned - someway, someday- if you break your word to the people who are already working to credential you. karma.

good luck with this ethical dilema.

Yeah that is a tough one. I would have to agree with alleycat on this one. There is not going to be any real nice way to back out on your verbal acceptance. However, on the flip side you have not signed anything so it is not is stone yet. I would ask myself how much I was gaining from the new job and if it was worth potentially burning bridges at a local sight. If you can justify the potential benefit from the potential negative/ long term consequence then go for it

If you have no signed anything you are probably okay

If you have signed you have a really tough position.......

Karma does tend to come back around so what ever you decide act like a professional - I have found that honesty is a great place to start - "I was not expecting to get this job offer after saying I would come work for you, but it surprised me ....." so on and so forth.....

You are going to back out of a job offer that you accepted in favor of an offer that "may" happen shortly? What is your plan if the offer doesn't come through, go back to the folks that offered you a job and you accepted? Good luck with that. You accepted the offer now is the time to live up to your word.

Well no there was no contract. The position I had interviewed for was full-time, and after my second interview they came back with an offer of part time, since they had hired someone else during the interview process for the full time gig. I knew i had this other job that I was waiting to get the second interview, and possibly an offer for a full time gig with a great group, higher pay, better benefits and more opportunity for growth, but I wasn't going to say no to the ER one if nothing else came through, especially because i was getting calls from them almost daily asking me if I was going to take it. So I took it, and would have worked their without issue if this other job didn't come through, but it did, so I felt like I had to take it because of the opportunity.

Archived