unusual circumstances

hi there...

Thought I would share my story and see if anyone had any thoughts. So I started med school in the caribbean in 2009. HOwever, shortly after starting it, I had a severe asthma attack that needed emergency air evacuation off the island and required intubation. After that, my doctors warned me not to go back to the island as the tropical weather would only aggravate my condition. After missing so much school and study time, I decided not to go back and I ended up failing the semester. I took a few months to reset and try to figure out what I wanted to do, and started researching the PA career. I absolutely love what I see. I have shadowed mulitple PAs, volunteered abroad, and am currently working in an alzheimers living facility as a CNA. my HCE is only about 1000 hours and my gpa is pretty low (3.1). I took my GRE in june and got a 1200. I wrote about Ross in my personal statement, and entered the coursework I did at Ross on CASPA. I also wrote about why I chose med school in the first place ( i had a stroke in undergrad and thought med school was the right choice). I understand that it does not look good for me to have failed med school and now choosing PA school, but after a year and half of research, I know this is what I want to do. Does anyone know of any schools that accept students like me? I have applied to 15 schools and have already received 4 rejections. I am also wondering if I should send out a letter from Ross to all schools or wait and see if they request a letter from them. Sorry for the long story and thanks for your input!

Holycow have you talked with any of the programs you received rejection letters from? I would start there and see why you were rejected. You seem like a great canidate. And like you said it was a medical condition that was responsible for the failing grades. Having a low gpa as you may have seen does not always disqualify you from getting into PA school. Just try and keep a positive attitude. You have 11 other programs still to hear from.

You need more HCE to make up for the low GPA. Consider taking some science courses, especially if you made anything lower than in B in pre-reqs. You need current coursework to show that you can handle the material, especially after failing out of med school(regardless of the reason).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Archived