How much does NAME really matter?

When choosing which PA schools apply to, how good the program is and PANCE rates are obviously large factors. But what if two schools have really good PANCE scores?

For example George Washington University vs Towson University. Both schools have good passing rates, but you've probably never heard of Towson. Does name really matter. Towson is $22,716 for the entire program- that's dirt cheap! George Washington Univ. is a very great and well known program, has a fancy name, but is $71,492. I'm probably paying more for the name on my resume.

Location isn't an issue because they are both close to home. At the end of the day, a PA is a PA. Any thoughts or advise, please? Maybe from any PA's who are in the field now? Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!

Come again?

As in "PA-C"

There's plenty of need at rural primary care sites that don't mind where you became a PA. But if you want to work in a specialty, or a teaching hospital, or make $$$, then a big name program should certainly get your resume an extra look, especially if you are not from the area or know any connections.

As in "PA-C"

There's plenty of need at rural primary care sites that don't mind where you became a PA. But if you want to work in a specialty, or a teaching hospital, or make $$$, then a big name program should certainly get your resume an extra look, especially if you are not from the area or know any connections.

Not right now. The current demand models and projections (outside of some localized areas of saturation) suggest such a high demand that your academic pedigree probably won't matter. I say probably only because there may be a few isolated practices where it will.

Heck, I graduated with an Associates from Cuyahoga Community College, and while my academic pedigree has increased substantially since those days, I was hired at one of the most, if not THE most, prestigious medical centers in the world with only that degree.

The time that name recognition becomes important is jobs that have high saturation levels. For example, Law. A lawyer graduating from the University of Minnesota will have NO WHERE NEAR the opportunities that a Harvard Law grad will. But that is really secondary to high market saturations in law.

I hope that makes sense....

Come again?

Sorry. Get in a program that is a good fit for you, graduate and get NCCPA certified. That's the "C" in PA-C. I agree with physasst. It is market driven. I just spoke with a recent graduate who was offered a 150K package in Ortho. No one asked about degree. He didn't have a Masters or went to a "name" PA program.

Archived