150% Rule

Hi everyone ... I am not sure if I should post this here or should it go to the student general discussion thread? But neither here nor there has anyone experienced the 150% Rule with financial aid? I am only eligible for loans. (I know I can not get scholarships and/or grants because I already have a bachelor’s.) When I was talking to a school counselor at the community colleges they said it might be a possibility where I can not take anymore classes with them anymore because of this 150% Rule. They explained to me when you receive Financial Aid, you are subject to the 150% Rule. This rule means that if you attempt more than 150% of the credit hours needed to graduate from your program of study, you will not continue to receive financial aid. If you exceed 150% in any one program, you will not be eligible to continue to receive financial aid. All of the credits that you have ever taken at x school or transferred to x school, whether financial aid was used or not, are counted in this 150% rule calculation. If you have changed programs of study, all credits that you have ever taken at x school or transferred to x school are counted, whether they can be counted towards the credits you need to complete your program of study or not.

I would like to take some prerequisites classes at the community level e.g. chemistry and organic chemistry, microbiology, A&P I & II. The reason I would like to take these classes since it has been awhile since I have been a student and I thought I would it would be wiser to take them at the community college instead of the university. I did not want to be a number when taking these courses. If I have a question I actually want to be noticed when I raise my hand instead of making an appointment to see the proff and/or TA and if I am lucky I can see them immediately and hope I do not get too far behind from my class with I eventually see them. So, to me it makes sense if I can take them at the community college as the classes are smaller and cheaper (both of which I prefer).

Unfortunately being recently laid off I thought this was a ‘sign’ for me to go back to school and do what I really want to do and that is become a physician assistant. It took a lot of courage for me to make this decision to after all these years (I am not saying I am old, but it has been awhile since I have been in school.) and now I have to deal with this road block. This should be the least of my worries. Lesh suggested to call the schools I thinking of applying to and see even if they will even let me take classes at the community college. I called and most of them said yes with a few exceptions. And now this … what else??????? UGH Eegads …:mad:

• 8 months later...

it may be deifferent if you have your BS and are attemtping another degree....I would verify.

I know our school has posted something about that but I never read it because a lot of my stuff I paid for at another shcool out of pocket and did not tranfer it back because I didnt need the credit towards my BS.

I woul register as degree seeking, fill out the fin aid papers and see what they award you.

Remember if you register as non-degree seeking you automatically will not qualify for fin aid because its only for degree seeking....also as degree seeking you may qualify for institutional aid from teh school itself

• 1 month later...

This same EXACT situation occured to me while attending my current school. I was told that I violated the Financial Aid 150% rule two days before the semester was to start. I had to sit out the Summer term, but I had to file a Financial Aid appeal for the Fall term. Ask your school if you can do this appeal. If so, they are more than likely going to need for you to type a letter and include any documentation proving why you exceeded your credit attempts.

My lesson was a hard one to learn. I exceeded my credit attempts by switching from a major in Criminal Justice to my regular Associates in Arts. SMH....Well, I know now that I need to stay on this path to avoid any future Financial Aid problems.

• 2 months later...

Same thing happened to me. I appealed, and was rejected because I changed my degree in undergrad from a language to Biology, but still took language classes. I had to pay for the entire last semester on my own (at a pretty expensive public university), so I set up a payment plan with the financial services office and I'm still paying it back. I'd suggest working while taking any more classes, otherwise you won't be able to afford the payment plan. It also might have been easier for me to set up a manageable payment plan since after that semester I was graduated and working full-time.

Archived