FAILED...a 5th time

I'm at the end of my rope here and don't know where else to turn besides my fellow PAs.

I graduated in 8/2008 and have attempted this exam 5 times. Here's what I've done:

1st go: lived and breathed studying for 2 months. Cut out EVERYTHING (which I now know wasnt the right thing to do) and used the AAPA review book, Kaplan question book and Davis. = FAILED

2nd: realized that I needed a better studying plan so tweaked some stuff and went at it again. = FAILED

3rd: did the CME course while focusing on a lot of questions. I would read a. Organ system then do the questions in the yellow book. Felt more confident but yet again FAILED

4th: hired a tutor who went thru the entire VanRhee book (thanks to the forum) disease by disease. I had such a great understanding of all things bc I was talking them through and now understanding as opposed to memorizing. He felt I was ready, I felt I was ready and nope. FAILED

5th: had to figure out if it was my knowledge base, nerves maybe, anxiety or something that was haltering me so I started acupuncture as well as seeing an academic developer who helped me tremendously with test taking skills as well as things that I knew I had trouble with. It was AMAZING!!! Couple that with my now better knowledge, as well as followng the Van Rhee study strategy and I swore I was golden!!! Felt great, was confident, and nope. FAILED

I don't know what to do at this point. I'm ready to begin again bc I've taken my "mental break" but don't know whereto start. Every review book I have is written ALL over and hilited in a gazillion colors so I think reading them may do more harm then good bc it's almost as though I know what's on each page before even getting there. Do I pull out a textbook? Do I go through everything on the blueprint and write everything out? Do I go thru a new review book so that im looking at a fresh page?

Any or all input is much appreciated. Could definitely need some support or insight.

Thanks!!

I am so sorry for your angst. Have you tried some intensive shadowing and working alongside a working PA so that perhaps you have a better integrated understanding of what you're reading? The reason residency works so well is that when you actually work up a problem, you have a critical-thinking perspective of a problem and can better sort through the options. Perhaps at this point, you have book knowledge but not the inner understanding of how the parts go together. It really doesn't sound like you need to study more - you have to find that missing puzzle piece. Just offering suggestions here . . . Perhaps an out-of-the-box suggestion.

Thanks so much for ure suggestion! I realize that I left out a big thing. While studying for the 3rd attempt, I was actually a working PA in a GI office for 2 months, then in an ER for 5. I lost my ER job, which was an amazing job, bc I failed and my permit wouldn't be renewed due to failure.

I understand your situation -- I will be taking the exam for the 4th time. What boosted my score on the 3rd try but not enough to push me over the hump, were questions. That's the tactic I'll be taking. I attended a course in Chicago, got back from it last week - currently going thru the binder and will hit questions hard for the next 2 weeks straight. If I were you I'd look into getting DataChem & signing up at PAeasy.com for their 1200 question bank. The more questions you do, the better. I hope this helps, hang in there --- you have all the book knowledge now just beat those questions to death!!!!

Thanks a bunch for your positivity and kind words. It's amazing how much of a boost it is to hear that you have people in your corner! :)

I did CME before so was actually considering going over the binder again. And yeah, I did lots of questions this last time and it sure did help. I feel like I'm doing the same preparations but I guess I wanted to look at new material to see if that made a difference. I have DataChem but have never done PAeasy, so may give that a whirl.

Thanks!

• Administrator

You probably don't need any more content review. You probably need one or both of two things: 1) Test-taking fu. Multiple choice questions are a specific skill that can be taught. I don't know if this has been done effectively in your review classes, but focusing on how the questions are worded and answerable might do you better than trying to memorize more content at this point. 2) If you have test taking anxiety, you need to be treated for that. Acupuncture may or may not work for you, but you probably need a workup for that specific issue. Beta blockers work for some people, stimulants for those with ADHD... but I'm sure you know all that already.

• 1 month later...

Archived