Emergency Medicine PA Program

This may have already been asked.. But are there any particular PA programs that focus on emergency medicine? I know that you can do the Emergency Medicine Residency Program after PA school, but I was also aware that some schools are more bias over certain specialties. I am an EMT-B and a scribe in the ED and I am in love with emergency medicine, but I want make sure that if there is a school that 'specializes' in trauma, I need to be going there!

No program specializes in emergency medicine. some older programs have the ability to specialize within required rotations due to the large # of available sites. my program allowed me to do trauma surgery for surgery and peds em for peds in addition to a required em rotation and a 12 week em elective. I ended up with 27 out of 54 weeks in em, peds em or trauma surg. folks with interests in other field were able to arrange similar specialty focus arrangements(peds surgery, etc).

No program specializes in emergency medicine. some older programs have the ability to specialize within required rotations due to the large # of available sites. my program allowed me to do trauma surgery for surgery and peds em for peds in addition to a required em rotation and a 12 week em elective. I ended up with 27 out of 54 weeks in em, peds em or trauma surg. folks with interests in other field were able to arrange similar specialty focus arrangements(peds surgery, etc).

Is the best to ask the schools during the interviews about their available sites? I want to do surgery and would love if my peds could be peds surgery, as well as all of my electives being surgery. When is the best time to ask?

Is the best to ask the schools during the interviews about their available sites? I want to do surgery and would love if my peds could be peds surgery, as well as all of my electives being surgery. When is the best time to ask?

It depends on the program. You don't want to be intentionally deceptive, but if a program focuses more on primary care, then you don't want to come in stating that all you want to do is surgery. There are some programs (like LESH's) that have regional PC as a mission statement, and that is appropriate, but declaring your intentions too early at a generalist program could hurt you.

That said, I've always felt the most important thing an applicant can ask is about the quality of the clinical sites. How established are they, how numerous, and what student impressions are. If you can talk to 2nd yr or former students, even better.

If you are that sure about surgery then you should think about Cornell or Alabama.

Archived