Community College PA Programs

Hello,

I am currently in the process of interviewing and being accepted to PA programs and I wanted some opinions from professional PAs. I have recently been accepted to a Community College PA program. I am wondering if it matters if I get a degree from a CC and if employers would accept applicants with degrees from these programs? To my knowledge, there are at least 3-4 CC PA programs around the country. The school I have been accepted to is accredited by the ARC-PA and graduates are eligible for licensure in any state. Students admitted to the program are co-registered at a different University and complete a fully-accredited master's degree. This program has been around since 1999, so the longevity of it is positive for me.

I have also been accepted to a normal university-type PA program. I liked pretty much everything about the CC program more, except for the fact that it is a CC. As most of you probably know, programs do not give you much time to decide without taking your money for a deposit. I don't want to end up regretting my choice!

Are there any practicing PAs out there that are graduates of a CC program that have some input for me? Or any input at all would be helpful.

Thank you!

big movement towards masters as the terminal degree. some states require masters for license. it is likely PA programs will be required to deliver masters degree in near future. generally CC partner with another University to offer a masters. i would investigate your options and how current students rate that experience. 

Yes! That's the absolute truth. 

If you go to the CC and still earn a fully accredited Masters degree through the companion University, it sounds ok to me.  It might save you a ton of money?

pay attention to the cost ..... if all you save once you factor in the cost of a masters elsewhere is less than 10 thousand dollars ... it might be worth the expense to go where you want and will have the best experience. That being said I am sure many CC PA programs offer a good experience. I can also guarantee you will be doing that masters in the near future. The question is will you be doing a doctorate of PA as well hah. 

Archived