LORs: waive access, or not?

I've always thought that letters were more credible when an applicant had waived access. When I did this is the past, letter writers would often give me a copy of the letter AFTER it was submitted: I think we both interpreted "waive access" as referring to viewing the letter before submission. However, I noticed that CASPA has now changed the wording of its instructions in the "Letters" section, clarifying that "waiver" means that the letter writer sends the letter on the assumption that the applicant will NEVER see it. While I appreciate the clarification, it raises some questions.

Did you waive access, or did you have some idea of what evaluators said, either before or after submission of their letters?

My thought is that seeing a letter, even after submission, could help me evaluate what went wrong with an unsuccessful application, and what I would need to do to be successful in the future. However, I don't want to make that result more likely by making a good letter less persuasive by failing to waive access.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've also posted this to the Student PA Forum.

I waived access to all of my letters.

It does leave some things in the unknown. Choose carefully...

I think it adds a great deal of credibility to the letters since the writer can be honest and not worry about hurt feelings etc.

I thought long and hard on who to ask. I did however make sure the person writing my letters had all of my grades and my volunteer activities. I also printed some good guidance from the internet with a few do's and don'ts.

My understanding is that those letters carry a great deal more weight if you DO waive the chance to see them. However, I, like other, was careful who I asked, and 2 of the 3 offered for me to view them. I have not viewed either yet, but will eventually get to it :) I would like to know in case I don't get in this year. Also, as mentioned before, make sure that the person you ask knows you very well. I asked something along the lines of, "I'd like to know if you would feel comfortable writing a letter of reference for my application to PA school. I understand that you have a busy schedule, and many students, and would greatly appreciate your time is speaking to the strengths you feel I have that would be beneficial in PA school and in medical practice." Make sure you are not just getting a transcript/CASPA app. verification- that is, make sure that they feel they can really talk about you, not just hat you completed a course with a grade of... or a certain number of shadow hours in such and such a clinic... The adcom has already seen that about you.

Good luck!

Oh- also I think this is VERY impt. After you know that your letter of ref has been sent in, send a thank you card! It leaves a good impression and lets them know that you appreciate the time that they took to help you. It is also helpful if you need another letter from them in the past. They will remember that you did that!

• 10 months later...

So stupid question, but those who did not waive their right to see the letter did you get in? I already have two references who I put not to waive and they are completed ( the directions just say legal procedure) I do not know what is wrote about me either. For my third letter I did say waive because I hear so much argument to do so.

It does look better to waive them, but that does necessarily mean that you will never see them, regardless of how CASPA worded it. It just means you waive the right to see them & you can not click on that part of the app to open them up for review. However, many people who write LOR's will often voluntarily send you a copy after they send it, or sometimes even beforehand to have you look it over to see how it looks. It's also very common these days to be asked to wrie your own LOR that they can proof, edit, & send in for you.

I actually read the section under CASPA. You should probably do the same.

Checking, “No, I DO NOT WAIVE MY RIGHT” indicates to the school that your recommender wrote their reference with the understanding that you may choose to view it. Please note that even if you have not waived your right to view the reference, you still cannot access the reference via CASPA. If you have not waived the right to view your reference, this means that you may ask your reference for a copy of their recommendation, or, once you matriculate into a PA program, you may view the reference in their offices.

Basically, if you don't waive your right you can ask for a copy but there's no guarantee you'll ever see it. If I don't get in this cycle I will ask schools what was lacking in my application. There's no reason why they wouldn't be willing to say my references weren't strong enough, and I would know for sure to get a whole new set. If you don't feel comfortable waiving your rights to something then don't waive them.

Archived