How long did you study for the PANCE?

taken back when pance was a 6 part exam; 3 practicals + primary care, surgery, and core knowledge written exams. pance used to be a week long exam.

studied 3 hrs/day for 3 months. back then it was only given once /yr.

passed with primary care and surgical honors(gold stars on certificate) around 95% nationally.

Well, during clinical year I studied at least SOMETHING every single night (weekends off), and then the last 6 months of rotations my studying consisted of about about 1/2 board review books (boards&wards, aapa book, lange q&a) and 1/2 just reading about stuff that i had come across on my rotation that day. I took packrat cold halfway thru clinical year and got a 167. I made lots of study guides - focused on important stuff like diagnostic criteria. Then after graduation i studied about 40 hours over the course of 3 weeks (out of those same 3 books). I got a 764 (98-99th percentile). So happy!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the boards were so freaking easy, I was done in 3 hours. What a relief after stressing so much for 2 years :)

my program made us take 4 PACRATs during clinical year - so like you i was studying all year (not a TON, but I did questions at least once a week while studying for end of rotation exams)., and then for two and a half weeks up to my PANCE i studied daily doing 200-400 questions a day from KAPLAN, AAPA, and PACRATs, and pretty much stopped looking at notes (unless i really needed to brush up on something). dont forget to review EKGs and X-rays!! i had a good amount on my PANCE. and every day do something that isnt studying. go to the gym, cook dinner, meet up with friends, and enjoy your weekends. dont over stress it. and if you book it for a wednesday - you get results the next morning. I did really well, and I'm glad I didnt stress longer over it like some of my classmates still are. OH - and dont wait. book it for less than a month after graduation!!

3 weeks;

Week 1: 7 Packrats & writing everything I got wrong in a little notebook to review later.

Week 2-3: Using the PANCE templete for each subject, I focused one day on each core topic (Cardio/Pulm/GI/Repro/Musculoskeletal) and doubled up on other days (Psych/Endo, Neuro/Derm, etc). For each subject I skimmed through the AAPA book, did the AAPA pre/post tests, datachem, and davis questions on each individual topic.

Good luck!

I just took the PANCE Monday and I am d-y-i-n-g to know how I did. I'm so nervous/sick everytime I think about it. I felt reasonably good while taking it but due to the dire consequences if I fail it I'm on eggshells until I get that score back. The paper they gave me said it will be 2 weeks until I get my score. Do you think it will really be that long? It seems like people on here got their scores back earlier than that . . .

I used this book: A Comprehensive Review for the Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants: Published in Collaboration with AAPA and PAEA. I focused heavily on cardiology and pulmonology. Also studied GI/nutrition and ortho/rheum pretty hard. Studied the other sections minimally. Tons and tons and tons of Exam Master questions, making sure to carefully read the answer explanations and then re-take each quiz until I got 100% on it. A week before my exam I took the NCCPA test that is on their website (for $35) and then focused on my 3 weakest areas until my exam date. My weakest areas were pulmonology (suprising, because that is what I had studied the most), reproduction and Using Laboratory/Diagnostic studies. I studied from about 8am - 4:30 pm every day, then sort of half-heartedly did exam master questions during the evening when my husband was home & the TV was on (I had earplugs in though).

I studied for about 2 weeks, only did Packrat questions from about 8 different exams. Any diseases/medications that I saw listed in questions that I was unfamiliar with, I looked up in Lange or from notes. I had made sure before I graduated, that I had notes on almost all of the topics listed in the PANCE blueprint. I had read all those notes before graduation, so that afterward, those two weeks were dedicated to just taking exams over and over again. I did the online exam that cost $35, once before I started studying and then three days before the exam to make sure there was improvement. I finished the exam in 4 hours...didn't feel like taking breaks...passed with a 649 (87% percentile). What a relief that was!

• 2 months later...
Hi there. I'm a new graduate and taking the PANCE on August 22nd. Planning to study for a solid 2 weeks, plus what I've already done. I want to know how much time other people put into studying for the PANCE and how that worked out (what kind of score did you get)?

Thanks!

The entire time I was in PA school! I ended up with "Gold Stars" in Primary Care and Surgery.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived