Online Doctorate

Hey All-

I have been tossing around the idea of working toward an online doctorate (DHA or DHSc) over the next few years. I have been a PA for about 7 years now, and love it. However, I am not sure if I still want to be in the "trenches" in the next 10 or 15 years (who knows?). I am thinking of one day potentially getting into some sort of upper level management/admin. Does anyone have any experience with these programs? Are they worth the 10's of thousands of dollars (ie will the degree allow me to obtain a well paying admin job in the future?). Any input and insight is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mike

EMEDPA is in the middle of the DHSc.........

actually at the very beginning...semester 1 of 16.

advantages for having a doctorate as a pa as I see them:

1. teaching: many jobs require or expect you to work towards one and will pay you more for having one

2. govt service: pa's with a doctorate get 2 pay grades higher then those with an ms

3. international work(teaching or clinical): having a doctorate separates you from all the other applicants who don't have one increasing your chances of getting the dream job in scotland or where ever

4. even footing with dnp's. doesn't matter right now but may in a few years

5. lecturing/writing: a doctorate makes you more credible

6. gives you a chance to pursue a topic that interests you that you can be passionate about. for me this topic is global health.

if you want to do admin a health admin degree or business degree probably makes sense

Thanks EMEDPA; Which program do you attend. I guess spending more money on another degree (still paying loans on BS and PA) is my major hesitance, although in the grand scheme of things, it is about the same amount as a new car, and you will have the degree for life, haha.

Mike

Archived