Disabled and tri-athletic

Does anyone else see the incongruity of treating a man who acutely fractured his arm falling while mountain climbing, or strains his groin water-skiing, or presents which acute dehydration from running a half marathon in 90 degree heat.. And upon taking the social hx of cigs, etoh, etc, am told in answer to occupation: "oh I am disabled." I got my disability from a back injury ( or bipolar dz, or hypertension, or headaches, or chronic pain, or sickle cell TRAIT(! )?, or carpal tunnel syndrome, or chronic fatigue syndrome, or HIV ETC ETC ETC.

My dream job I think, is to video these folks doing their activities, and turning the videos over to the state disability commission... I am conflicted deeply.. I believe in personal freedom and am a strong libertarian.. And I take patient confidentiality very very seriously.. So I would never turn the names of these patients over to the authorities.. But the temptation is truly there...

In my opinion, these people are stealing from us all and are bald faced frauds,stealing from those who truly need the funds.

Next on the list is my reaction to a patient who, when I asked him if his job might be in jeopardy were I to write him out of work for several days, looks me in the eye and states, quite seriously, that " wtf?, I am in the union.. I CAN't get fired... "

Rant over

Does anyone else see the incongruity of treating a man who acutely fractured his arm falling while mountain climbing, or strains his groin water-skiing, or presents which acute dehydration from running a half marathon in 90 degree heat.. And upon taking the social hx of cigs, etoh, etc, am told in answer to occupation: "oh I am disabled." I got my disability from a back injury ( or bipolar dz, or hypertension, or headaches, or chronic pain, or sickle cell TRAIT(! )?, or carpal tunnel syndrome, or chronic fatigue syndrome, or HIV ETC ETC ETC.

My dream job I think, is to video these folks doing their activities, and turning the videos over to the state disability commission... I am conflicted deeply.. I believe in personal freedom and am a strong libertarian.. And I take patient confidentiality very very seriously.. So I would never turn the names of these patients over to the authorities.. But the temptation is truly there...

In my opinion, these people are stealing from us all and are bald faced frauds,stealing from those who truly need the funds.

Next on the list is my reaction to a patient who, when I asked him if his job might be in jeopardy were I to write him out of work for several days, looks me in the eye and states, quite seriously, that " wtf?, I am in the union.. I CAN't get fired... "

Rant over

A big story here in the great Seattle area was a Fireman who got a 3 Mil settlement from the city for back pain and was in court in a wheel chair. A PI caught him on tape at a campground dancing, doing the twist far better than I could ever imagine doing it. It was totally physical. After this became public, the city decided to review his case. However, his attorneys said that the "powerful drugs he has to be on" allows him to get out of his wheel chair and dance like that. The city upheld his settlement at 3 mil.

A big story here in the great Seattle area was a Fireman who got a 3 Mil settlement from the city for back pain and was in court in a wheel chair. A PI caught him on tape at a campground dancing, doing the twist far better than I could ever imagine doing it. It was totally physical. After this became public, the city decided to review his case. However, his attorneys said that the "powerful drugs he has to be on" allows him to get out of his wheel chair and dance like that. The city upheld his settlement at 3 mil.

Archived