Choosing Nova Ft. Lauderdale over other Nova campuses

I'm sure I'm not alone in having been accepted to multiple Nova campuses and now having to truly reflect on each one to pick the best fit. Can any current students at Nova Ft. Lauderdale (or current applicants who are definitely going to nova Ft. Lauderdale) maybe post as to what it was about the Orlando campus that made you pick there over other schools? I know one big difference is that Ft. Lauderdale has cadavers but Orlando has an awesome anatomage system for anatomy and physiology, which they've argued can be used throughout the entire program for studying pathophysiology and different disease processes, as well as to view CT scans and X-rays. I have narrowed my choices down to Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale and can see the pros and cons of each campus but was hoping for some other insight. Many other medical programs are located at the Ft. Lauderdale campuses, thus do students there feel like they are sharing resources or competing in any way for clinicals or other things? Thanks!

I am having the same dilemma but with ft lauderdale vs jacksonville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me personally, the choice between Jacksonville and Ft. Lauderdale was a little bit easier, because Jacksonville is farthest from where I live in FL and I felt like their PANCE scores weren't nearly as high or consistent from year to year as the other programs. Their scores for 2015 aren't up yet, but Ft. Lauderdale's was a 99% pass rate and 100% in 2014, whereas Jacksonville was 92% in 2014 and sometimes much lower in previous years. I know both areas have great hospitals, but Ft. Lauderdale seemed to have more options for clinicals. They told me that all clinicals would be 15 minutes or less from the school. I like how Ft.Lauderdale has libraries and the cadaver lab( though I know that other great tools besides cadavers exist such as the technological system Orlando uses). I also found everyone to be a little more friendly at Ft. Lauderdale (the office staff, etc.) but that is all subjective. But one thing I didn't like about Ft. Lauderdale was how busy it seemed in the academic buildings and how cluttered it was with students from so many different programs. I wasn't a fan of how busy it seemed and the area was also crazy in navigating traffic (though Orlando has bad traffic too). Plus, it will cost a fortune to live somewhere that is both nice and safe in Ft. Lauderdale, which current students even said is difficult to find. What did you like best about Jacksonville? :)

I heard the cadavers used at Fort Lauderdale are ones the med students have finished with. You basically are using second hand cadavers.

That is correct. They are prosected cadavers. That's why I feel like maybe being at a campus without the cadavers would not be such a huge disadvantage necessarily. Have you chosen to attend Nova Ft. Lauderdale or another school for this reason?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/3/2015 at 9:07 PM, wsl said:

I heard the cadavers used at Fort Lauderdale are ones the med students have finished with. You basically are using second hand cadavers.

This is not true. 

They are being prosected as the DO/MD's are showing them to us. I promise you it is a good thing we don't have to dissect them because of the care you must take so you dont compromise vessels/nerves/tissue. I'd rather use that time to actually know the anatomy rather than dissecting.

We have a few classmates at FTL that chose this campus because the interview at Orlando felt a bit less welcoming.

A classmate of mine who interviewed there said Orlando is just a building by itself while we have use of the whole NOVA campus at FTL.

3 hours ago, JD2012 said:

This is not true. 

They are being prosected as the DO/MD's are showing them to us. I promise you it is a good thing we don't have to dissect them because of the care you must take so you dont compromise vessels/nerves/tissue. I'd rather use that time to actually know the anatomy rather than dissecting.

We have a few classmates at FTL that chose this campus because the interview at Orlando felt a bit less welcoming.

A classmate of mine who interviewed there said Orlando is just a building by itself while we have use of the whole NOVA campus at FTL.

Do you feel you utilize the entire campus? 

2 hours ago, PA305 said:

Do you feel you utilize the entire campus? 

We just finished a crazy crazy microbio exam so now I have some time to respond a bit more in depth.

ABSOLUTELY!  

At the very least it gives my study group different environments to study in. We sometimes use the auditorium we are taught in. The business building on the weekends, we get a whole class instead of a small study room. The main library on campus has a section on each floor with cubicles for those subjects we really have to hunker down for and minimize distractions....Pharmacology!!! I promise the change of scenery is nice when you spend 8hrs in a room studying.

We have a bar on campus that serves food and beers on tap which ALWAYS comes in handy after taking an insane exam. Not trying to sound like an alcoholic but it's a nice immediate reward. ?

Also, I don't know if Orlando has it but the Sports/Gym Complex is very nice as well. 2 floors with weight machines, indoor racquetball courts, basketball courts, rock climbing, olympic pool, yoga etc..

Someone sent me a private message a few days regarding the FTL campus and its cadaver lab.  For our summer semester it was the highlight. It was my favorite class. Not the anatomy class, but the cadaver lab portion of it.  I could not imagine doing cadaver on a flat screen after doing it on a real human body. We were able to hold brains, feel the difference between a normal uterus or a cancerous one. Hold some normal hearts vs a hypertrophic heart and seeing the size difference in person, smokers lungs, cirrhotic livers, etc as well as trying to identify a nerve or muscle on a very petite female body versus one on a male who was 6'7".

As for second-hand cadavers can't be further from the truth. Each DO/MD is assigned a body that they dissect. It is theirs, so there is some pride in it for them. They don't just dissect the body and then let us have the scraps. 

Anyway, cadaver lab was the highlight of my summer semester hands down and it was something I did not take for granted and really appreciated that experience not many others will be able to have. 

Yes the Health Professions division is busy, BUT, during the summer it will be very very quiet you'll practically have the place to yourselves this is where the rest of the campus will come in to play.

It is in the works, but eventually NOVA Ft Lauderdale will have a teaching hospital as part of their "academical village".

One very last thing I forgot to add is as a Nova FTL student you get a Dolphins season ticket for free. Pay a one-time refundable $75 processing fee and that's it.  You'll get an email before each home game and reserve your ticket. 

Even though you may be busy studying you should still be able to make it to at least 3 games during the season.

Archived