Who's applying for 2011/2012?

Greetings,

Thought I'd start a thread to see who is applying for 2011/2012, my name is Ric.

I've completed my prerequisites (this month) and will have my AA by the end of Aug. It's a little unnerving knowing I'll submit my application so close to the early dead line.

I believe this will be a good medium to get to know each other before we meet face to face on the day we interview.

So, don't be shy, chime in.

Ric

There's kind of another thread about this, but what they hey...I'll chime in...

I plan on applying for the BCHS as well, after summer school (about a month). It is a little unnerving to send it in so close to the early deadline, but its better than doing so late. I seriously can't wait to send it in so I can stop looking at it, over and over...every day... :)

So what made you choose the PA route?

Chris

I choose the PA route because of my military background-Army medic. I worked with a number of them and felt we were on the same level. I've found too, that one of the reasons most pts like seeing a PA is that they feel the PA understands them better, listens more. Perhaps it's because they don't have a title in front of their name. In addition, I'm getting older and not interested in spending X number of years in school. Last Dec. I went on a medical mission to Haiti and would like to do more of that work as a provider.

How about you?

Ric

Nice man, that's funny you went to haiti, the day after I EAS'd my old unit got called down there for relief work. I'm in the same boat as you, I feel PA's are personable and better connected in a way. I think a lot of military guys and gals are drawn to the PA profession due to the military connection as well. I know I was.

Good luck with finishing up your school work and hope to see ya up at the interviews. Crossing the fingers!

Chris

Nice man, that's funny you went to haiti, the day after I EAS'd my old unit got called down there for relief work. I'm in the same boat as you, I feel PA's are personable and better connected in a way. I think a lot of military guys and gals are drawn to the PA profession due to the military connection as well. I know I was.

Good luck with finishing up your school work and hope to see ya up at the interviews. Crossing the fingers!

Chris

What branch were you in? I'll be officially retired (National Guard) at the end of next month. I served 13 yrs Army (6 active) and the rest of the time in the Air National Guard.

Ric

What branch were you in? I'll be officially retired (National Guard) at the end of next month. I served 13 yrs Army (6 active) and the rest of the time in the Air National Guard.

Ric

I did 6 years active as a Navy Corpsman (FMF) with the Marine Infantry. Best times I ever had!

I am applying to MEDEX this year as well. I am a Paratroop Medic currently stationed in S. Korea (ETS in Dec/Jan,) and recently completed my BAS. Applying for the MCHS option in Seattle. Good luck to all the other applicants, and I am keeping my fingers crossed, UW is my 1st choice.

-Joe

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys-not from the northwest region...actually from the south. Just wondering the pros and cons of the Seattle program or Spokane program. Any pointers?

Seattle pro: TONS of things to do, see, be involved in, beautiful campus, Pro sports in town, beach isn't far away, nor is the mountains. Vibrant city

con: TONS of things to do, see, be involved in, Pro sports in town, beach isn't far away, nor is the mountains, Vibrant city :-)

In other words, I have to truly focus to stay on topic during my summer quarter here. There is so much to do out in town, I feel drawn to be out of my room and enjoying the area. I am sure once the winter weather moves in, it'll help dull the pain of missing out.

In all seriousness...I have never been to Spokane but I am jealous of the folks who get to be here in Seattle for their program. I am only here for summer quarter, Yakima bound after that. Here they have brilliant instructors...UW has world renowned genetics and infectious disease programs and their department chairs come and present. You can't get much better than that.

I have lost 10 pounds being here just because there is a bike trial outside the dorm that goes for miles and miles. Can hop on the bicycle and pound out 20 miles to unwind before studying...it's been great. Not to mention it's a fairly easy 4 mile ride to downtown, Pikes Place, waterfront, ferry rides over to the Islands...easy to get around. Leave your car at home. Bike trail goes right to department stores and grocery stores. Put rain fenders and racks on your bike.

Good luck

I'm applying this year. Just waiting on one final LOR to get in before processing my app. This will be my third try to get into MEDEX. Last time my wife was still pregnant with our first kid. Now that he's about to go to Kindergarten I think it's safe to go to school again myself. I'll be trying for Yakima or Anchorage.

Steve - you can follow those trails all the way over to Marymoor Park in Redmond & play around in the velodrome there. It's a nice ride on the weekends when you have more time.

Hi guys-not from the northwest region...actually from the south. Just wondering the pros and cons of the Seattle program or Spokane program. Any pointers?

I've lived in Seattle my whole life and I'm still in love. Just Steve hit it right on the button: there's tons to do here and it is beautiful. It's easy to be active and enjoy the outdoors. I use the same trail mentioned before for running, there's rock gyms, paddle boarding, snow boarding, hiking, etc.

Cons: The winter is long, dark, and wet. You'll need those rain fenders for sure. You'll still get wet, just not as muddy if you use those. Most of us here just embrace the weather: sandals in the rain, shorts once the temp reaches ~55-60 degrees, no natives use a umbrellas, and we use coffee to warm up. Lots of it.

Hello all! Just got CASPA and MEDEX apps in last week. Now waiting on CASPA verification. I am reading very familiar stories in this forum. I was a medic in the Army for about 8 years. Most of my time was spent in Ft. Bragg...well, most was spent deployed from Ft. Bragg :) I also worked for a while in the ER at MAMC in Tacoma. Quite excited and anxious to hear anything. I check my email and CASPA daily. I am from SE WA so I applied for the Yakima site. Good luck to everyone!!

Hi all,

This is my first application to MEDEX. I'm hoping for my BCHS at Yakima. I don't have any military experience, but have worked as a medical assistant and xray tech for the last 14 years. I have everything submitted and received a confirmation letter from admissions that I meet all requirements on initial review! :) They will begin reviewing all applications in late August. I've been working on prerequisites for the last 4 years as a single mom and I'm looking forward to pursuing a career as a PA!

Good luck to everyone and hope to meet you during interviews! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Sara

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess i'm a little late in posting but i'll join in anyway. I am an Army medic, ETS'd on 15 of sep and i'll be part of a Reserve csh out of Fairchild in Spokane for the next few years, i grew up in NW Montana and completed my undergrad in Seattle so i agree with steve and jesscbv Seattle is amazing but i think spokane has a lot to offer in different ways, smaller community atmosphere for a family, winter sports, road biking is really big in that area as well. All and all I'm sure you will enjoy either site! I might be a little parcial to Spokane so i submitted my app with it as my first choice but i wouldnt mind coming back to Seattle either. Good luck everyone!

• 1 month later...

My story sounds alot like Sara. I have been a medical assistant and clinical research corodinator for 16 years. I should have my AA in March so all should work out just right. I am hoping for Alaska, I have never been there, but it's on the list of places I want to live.

Good luck and hope to see any/all at interview day.

Tammy

Archived