NHSC 2011...did you apply?

I know before they had been "contact" threads so people can kind of keep up with notifications and such...so heres another!

Have you applied this cycle? Are you a new, 1st, 2nd yr student?

I have ....applying as a new student of course. Trying to complete my last requirement for admissions by 6/30 so I can stay in the running for the scholarship

Did you have to fax in any documents? If so did it take a while for them to show it as recieved? Oh and how long was it between submitting and acceptance? They had it posted that people will start to hear from July to Sept but I wonder how sure is that....

I was accepted for the 2010 cycle.

I applied for this coming year as a first year student. I did not fax anything, I uploaded attachments. In the email I got, it said acceptances go out by September 30, people on the waitlist find out if they got it by October 31. I haven't been to my orientation yet so I don't know how financial aid/loans work at my school yet.

I wouldnt wait for oreintation to find that out....I would call now and get that figured out.

Our program starts the 2nd and the fin aid disburses on the 18th anyone that waits until the 2nd to figure that out iwll most likely get thier money later than the 18th

I applied for this coming year as a first year student. I did not fax anything, I uploaded attachments. In the email I got, it said acceptances go out by September 30, people on the waitlist find out if they got it by October 31. I haven't been to my orientation yet so I don't know how financial aid/loans work at my school yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I recieved a finalist notification...I am dying to know what this means, and what my chances are now!! Anyone have any idea about how many finalists emails were sent out?

I guess finalist means you've been selected to receive the award. Congrats. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well.

The email specifically said it did not mean that we WOULD receive the award..But Im hoping it does...Thanks and good luck to you as well...If anyone knows of a previous finalist that did or did not make it...Can you let me know? We have a month before final notifications are sent...and I am not too patient!

I got one of those emails on Friday, too. I am hopeful that "finalist" means something very "final" because we had to give really personal information. I scrounged around on the internet but didn't find out any more information about finalist getting awards. I am not very patient, either, Serenity. On the other hand, neither is NHSC since they gave us five days (including weekend) to get stuff back to them!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was hoping a NHSC participant w/ loan repayment could give me some insight into the program. It seems like a great opportunity, and I've done some research, however when I contacted NHSC I was told some statistics that seemed a bit frightening. I understand you must first be employed through an approved site, then apply for loan repayment, but when I asked about this I was told "it is extremely competitive, less then 10% of PA's who apply are accepted for loan repayment" I asked what increases the likelihood and I was told "total debt" when I told the rep my debt he said it would most likely "be impossible to receive loan repayment, and most candidates aren't looked at unless they exceed 130k".... I'm just starting PA school this May, but I like to do research and look at future options. Is this true? Do any loan repayment participants have any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also curious how folks loan repayment applications went this year. I will be applying this coming cycle I hope. I'm still in clinicals, but my last rotation is through the SEARCH program, which is an NHSC program. Emily, I think you got bad information. My understandibg is that the likelihood of getting the loan repayment is higher than you state and has more to do w the site's HPSA score than your loan amount. I'm going to have about 90k in loans.

Archived