Life just became really real..........eeep!

In the last two weeks I have:

1. signed a lease

2. quit a job

3. began to pack

4. set up to take the final of my last pre-req

5. filled out my NHSC application

6. filled out my 25 page ARNG packet

7. reserved my u-haul

8. began packing

9. tried to come to the realization that Im leaving friends and family behind (still havent completed this one)

10. began our homework (yes...we have have homework already)

11. graduated with my BS (1st generation grad here)

12. suffered from 5 tension headaches

13. survived 4 nosebleeds (thanks FL heat)

14. threw away half the life I have accumulated since Ive been in my current residence

15. survived 4 mini-episodes of me trying to figure out what the heck Im even doing right now

16. apologized to 5 friends for having them listen to my mini-venting sessions

17. spet a ton of money on facebook games to reduce stress....games caused more stress

18. found a new milkshake spot that I love but unfortunately is not in ATL

19. learned about ultimate couponing

20. oh an how could I forget, I just signed over my first born son to the Dept of Education in exchange for a heaping mound of debt

21. came back to post here because I feel at home here

I probably could have typed more but I'll hold back some:;;D:

This shizz is getting more and more real as Aug 2nd creeps up on me:sweat:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reading your post just made me anxious... yikes. You will do great once PA school starts, remember that at the end of the day, it is just school and you've been in school long enough to know that you can rock it.

On a side note, didactic year sucks. I'm in my second week of clinicals now and loving it. Actually seeing patients and doing all of the fun stuff without the tests and constant studying is like a dream come true, I feel like Im on a vacation.

Haha sorry about that lol...it just seems like right now EVERYTHING is in my face....once I move it should settle down bit but right now if one more of my friends says "oh dont worry youll be fine, its not that bad" instead of realizing just what Im dealing with here....Im going to end up on the evening news lol

Haha sorry about that lol...it just seems like right now EVERYTHING is in my face....once I move it should settle down bit but right now if one more of my friends says "oh dont worry youll be fine, its not that bad" instead of realizing just what Im dealing with here....Im going to end up on the evening news lol

PA school is tough but it's not some holy grail of academia or mountain that can't be climbed... it's school, just like you've always known it (only far more interesting and slightly more coming your way at once). Don't let horror stories make you nervous, like your friends have said you will be fine ;)

I see what ya did there lol

Its not school Im worried about actually.....its this whole transitioning period called "June" lol.....Im sure once Im settled in and such Ill be fine but for right now everything just feels like a lot and Im the only one able to deal with it. Like a lot of my classmates are married so they have a partner to help plan things, set things up, move, pack etc...someone to provide additional support when they leave their jobs....I dont :-( Not feeling sorry for myself at all....I know Ill get through it because I have to, its just taking its toll on me

but in 2 weeks......I can "relax" so to speak

PA school is tough but it's not some holy grail of academia or mountain that can't be climbed... it's school, just like you've always known it (only far more interesting and slightly more coming your way at once). Don't let horror stories make you nervous, like your friends have said you will be fine ;)

ewwww...youre going to be one of them lol jk sounds like an awsome opportunity....nursing was my back up plan, but I was looking more at CRNA than anything...wish I could have gotten something like that with PA but I actually like the idea of now working...if everything goes right I wont have that debt to worry about later and have job when Im done

how long is the program?

i hear you. i was 3 days from pushing the button on caspa, and got an acceptance letter to nursing school thats less than a mile away from my door. my hospital will pay for it, will work my schedule around school, and give me whatever department i want to work in when im done. guesse im going to be an NP. now i can cross off 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,14,15,16,17,19, and the biggest one.... 20. good luck to you.

well they are only civil and stuff cause youre not posting there yet lol

I just had to go there......sorry lol

i guesse i should just go over to the RN and NP forums at allnurses, but they are all civil and stuff. now what am i going to do on my downtime?

Just_me, I feel ya. I haven't felt this disjointed since I left home in 1990 to go off to boot camp. I have had a few transitions since that time but none have had me on edge and losing sleep like this one. I love my current assignment at work, I'll be away from my wife and kids, living within a MUCH smaller budget than I have since the early 90's, in a program that isn't known for easy sleeper classes...and it starts in 3 weeks. I keep telling myself many many many others have gone before me and have done just fine. I will be no different. Now if I would just believe myself.

You are not alone in your angst.

PAMAC...congrats! Evolve or die, Darwin was right. I realize it wasn't your first choice but I'm sure you can make the best of it. You'll have to come up with a new screen name though...RNMAC just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Just wait until you actually start! (am I correct in thinking you haven't technically starred classes yet?) I thought the whole moving and changing my life thing was insane....then I actually started classes! :)

Today will be day 4. I am up at 4:30 because I am trying the wake up early before classes and read ahead/study approach. I have 6 total classes, but Anatomy is most insane...we have covered/dissected more than I feel like my can handle already (even though I know I really can and will). 10 weeks to know and dissect it all...I am just trying to not get too overwhelmed and remember my school is awesome and knows what they are doing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Just wait until you actually start! (am I correct in thinking you haven't technically starred classes yet?) I thought the whole moving and changing my life thing was insane....then I actually started classes! :)

Today will be day 4. I am up at 4:30 because I am trying the wake up early before classes and read ahead/study approach. I have 6 total classes, but Anatomy is most insane...we have covered/dissected more than I feel like my can handle already (even though I know I really can and will). 10 weeks to know and dissect it all...I am just trying to not get too overwhelmed and remember my school is awesome and knows what they are doing.

Hopefully if I get into my first pick school (UK), their program has gross anatomy 1st semester also. I just finished a cadaver course this passed spring, so I should be a little bit ahead of the game. Luckily, I kept all of my notes and my atlas. I am guessing that grad school level dissection will be a little more in depth (maybe with some organ cross-sections that we didn't do", but overall I feel like I will be one of the few with experience of cutting on a corpse... that alone will boost my confidence.

I am really hoping that I will get to feel that same angst in a couple of months. Since my first choice deadline was yesterday, now I just have to finish my last two pre-reqs (organic 1 and micro end next week... I was given an extension to send a copy of summer transcript)... and sit on the edge of my chair the rest of the summer (ok... not really... will be taking organic 2 as a back-up plan). So, here's to some future panic and anxiety on my part too.

ahhhhhh thats the part Im looking forward to...stressing about school and nothing else...sounds weird huh? the way I see it.....no additional schedules, no family members asking me to do this and that, no friends to taunt me with weekend escapades (you see im trying to psych myself out lol), no job to worry about going to.....just school and my books.....ahhhhhhh I cant wait lol

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS nobody around me gets this!!!! NOBODY and it bugs me :( Then I have friends pouting because I havent been able to spend time with them and Im thinking "well if ya guys offered to help me then maybe I would have free time" lol

Just_me, I feel ya. I haven't felt this disjointed since I left home in 1990 to go off to boot camp. I have had a few transitions since that time but none have had me on edge and losing sleep like this one. I love my current assignment at work, I'll be away from my wife and kids, living within a MUCH smaller budget than I have since the early 90's, in a program that isn't known for easy sleeper classes...and it starts in 3 weeks. I keep telling myself many many many others have gone before me and have done just fine. I will be no different. Now if I would just believe myself.

You are not alone in your angst.

PAMAC...congrats! Evolve or die, Darwin was right. I realize it wasn't your first choice but I'm sure you can make the best of it. You'll have to come up with a new screen name though...RNMAC just doesn't have the same ring to it.

just_me & PMAC

Having a goal as a CRNA would be an awesome add-on to a BSN with a few years of ICU experience. I’m married to one and have been jealous for years. Pay can easily be well into 6 figures not counting benefits. My wife gets requests frequently to standby for in vitro fertilization. When the egg is ready, it needs harvesting right now, not in a day or so. She may go in and work an hour and get paid for four hours, getting 4-6 hundred dollars depending on time of day. Some plastic surgeons do cases in their office. CRNAs can’t prescribe meds but can use those furnished by a doctor. Stone busters represent another opportunity for supplementing income.

My wife’s primary job is in out-patient surgery. No long boring cases, and it is mostly a nine to five kind of job only deduct about three hours from each time. She has to start setting up no later than 6:30 AM for cases starting at 7:00.

There are a few Anesthesiology Assistant schools around now. CRNAs guard their turf well. They are quite politically active, something PAs need. Any AA looking for a job could be a daunting task.

Thanks for the info!! It was a serious consideration if things didnt go my way for PA ...I was planning to go through the military

just_me & PMAC

Having a goal as a CRNA would be an awesome add-on to a BSN with a few years of ICU experience. I’m married to one and have been jealous for years. Pay can easily be well into 6 figures not counting benefits. My wife gets requests frequently to standby for in vitro fertilization. When the egg is ready, it needs harvesting right now, not in a day or so. She may go in and work an hour and get paid for four hours, getting 4-6 hundred dollars depending on time of day. Some plastic surgeons do cases in their office. CRNAs can’t prescribe meds but can use those furnished by a doctor. Stone busters represent another opportunity for supplementing income.

My wife’s primary job is in out-patient surgery. No long boring cases, and it is mostly a nine to five kind of job only deduct about three hours from each time. She has to start setting up no later than 6:30 AM for cases starting at 7:00.

There are a few Anesthesiology Assistant schools around now. CRNAs guard their turf well. They are quite politically active, something PAs need. Any AA looking for a job could be a daunting task.

I was lucky in the fact I only moved about 25 miles from where I was to go to school. It doesn't seem like its been almost a year since I did all this and now I'm looking down the barrel of clinical year in 6 weeks so just keep swimming upstream and you'll get there. I know everybody always says "it goes by so fast" but in all actuality it does and it doesn't. There will be weeks that you go to bed Monday night and wake up and it's already Friday and then there will be weeks that by the time you get to Friday morning it feels like that week was a month long. The 1st 2 months are the hardest, IMHO, then you finally hit your stride, figure out your weak points and your strong points and move on with the rest of the year. Good luck and Congrats.

craig

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS nobody around me gets this!!!! NOBODY and it bugs me :( Then I have friends pouting because I havent been able to spend time with them and Im thinking "well if ya guys offered to help me then maybe I would have free time" lol

TOTALLY feel ex-communicated from the "herd". Granted, I've been busy doing pre-reqs for the past 18 months but have managed to get out for a drink here and there with my buddies. Now, as the time gets closer to departure, no more phone calls, no more invites...They are fellow paramedics and it feels that they see me as a lost cause, moving on...It's a bummer as they are really good people. But to new adventures, new friends, new experiences. We'll see where things stand in a couple years on the other side.

I also completely understand your desire to get started in class. It will be novel to just be a student, not a student, full time employee, a commuter, and have father duties every night of the week. Work hard during the week in class, have quality family time on weekends.

Good to see I'm not alone. My wife thinks I am crazy for stressing over this next move. I was thinking maybe she's right...it's good to have company in crazy town.

If we were friends IRL I'd send you off to a spa for a massage while I scrubbed your bathroom with a toothbrush or other menial tasks of your choosing :) You are one of the strongest women I know, and it is sort of gratifying to know that even the amazing "just_me" is freaked out. Your list of stuff done makes me kind of want to puke from imaginary stress.

:) Sending you lots of smiles and stuff and really hoping I don't see you on the evening news :)

In the last two weeks I have:

1. signed a lease

2. quit a job

3. began to pack

4. set up to take the final of my last pre-req

5. filled out my NHSC application

6. filled out my 25 page ARNG packet

7. reserved my u-haul

8. began packing

9. tried to come to the realization that Im leaving friends and family behind (still havent completed this one)

10. began our homework (yes...we have have homework already)

11. graduated with my BS (1st generation grad here)

12. suffered from 5 tension headaches

13. survived 4 nosebleeds (thanks FL heat)

14. threw away half the life I have accumulated since Ive been in my current residence

15. survived 4 mini-episodes of me trying to figure out what the heck Im even doing right now

16. apologized to 5 friends for having them listen to my mini-venting sessions

17. spet a ton of money on facebook games to reduce stress....games caused more stress

18. found a new milkshake spot that I love but unfortunately is not in ATL

19. learned about ultimate couponing

20. oh an how could I forget, I just signed over my first born son to the Dept of Education in exchange for a heaping mound of debt

21. came back to post here because I feel at home here

I probably could have typed more but I'll hold back some:;;D:

This shizz is getting more and more real as Aug 2nd creeps up on me:sweat:

I won't tell you it's easy, but I will say that once you're settled into your new place and relocated, things will start to settle down. Once you're there, your transition will be a bit easier. Besides, I hear you've got a pretty cool buddy from the first year class! hehe :-)

ahhhhhh thats the part Im looking forward to...stressing about school and nothing else...sounds weird huh? the way I see it.....no additional schedules, no family members asking me to do this and that, no friends to taunt me with weekend escapades (you see im trying to psych myself out lol), no job to worry about going to.....just school and my books.....ahhhhhhh I cant wait lol

Doesn't sound weird. I thought the exact same thing. Just have to remember once settled and classes start it's just a different kind of crazy! :) I do love it though...just a little overwhelming. It is crazy how much my life has changed in 3 short weeks. Good luck to you with the move and classes starting soon!

Crazy town population 2....so far lol

I just told my mom (like 30 minutes ago) that I feel overwhelmed with so much to do....I was met with silence lol

Meh...I know Ill get through it but its just like "man....can I have one moment to just relax and do one thing...not 30 thousand things all at once?!?!"

As I complete little tasks here and there I feel a little better....like when I get this biochem exam out of the way I will feel TONS better, last day of work...a little bit better, stuff on the truck ....a bit more, get on the road....yeah you see where Im going with this. I have no plans to start unpacking until week two...Im going to explore Atl...hang out by the pool and get to know some new classmates

I have a plan!!!

TOTALLY feel ex-communicated from the "herd". Granted, I've been busy doing pre-reqs for the past 18 months but have managed to get out for a drink here and there with my buddies. Now, as the time gets closer to departure, no more phone calls, no more invites...They are fellow paramedics and it feels that they see me as a lost cause, moving on...It's a bummer as they are really good people. But to new adventures, new friends, new experiences. We'll see where things stand in a couple years on the other side.

I also completely understand your desire to get started in class. It will be novel to just be a student, not a student, full time employee, a commuter, and have father duties every night of the week. Work hard during the week in class, have quality family time on weekends.

Good to see I'm not alone. My wife thinks I am crazy for stressing over this next move. I was thinking maybe she's right...it's good to have company in crazy town.

Haha I just figured Id stop talking to people who know nothing about this....its just easier on me lol that will most likely keep me off the news lol

I dont need my bathroom scrubbed ....however just having someone hang up my clothes and pack the stuff in drawers would be a blessing lol

If we were friends IRL I'd send you off to a spa for a massage while I scrubbed your bathroom with a toothbrush or other menial tasks of your choosing :) You are one of the strongest women I know, and it is sort of gratifying to know that even the amazing "just_me" is freaked out. Your list of stuff done makes me kind of want to puke from imaginary stress.

:) Sending you lots of smiles and stuff and really hoping I don't see you on the evening news :)

Ty!! Yes it is a different kind of crazy....I like school book/learning crazy....uprooting transitional crazy is a different story.

Its funny....I was just telling a friend the other day that I was jealous that he had already started....30 minutes later I was thinking "are you crazy?!?!?! you dont mean that!!" lol

Doesn't sound weird. I thought the exact same thing. Just have to remember once settled and classes start it's just a different kind of crazy! :) I do love it though...just a little overwhelming. It is crazy how much my life has changed in 3 short weeks. Good luck to you with the move and classes starting soon!

Archived