Life just became really real..........eeep!

Yes my buddy is awesome .... ;-)he's been more helpful than he knows....thats why I asked for him :-)

I won't tell you it's easy, but I will say that once you're settled into your new place and relocated, things will start to settle down. Once you're there, your transition will be a bit easier. Besides, I hear you've got a pretty cool buddy from the first year class! hehe :-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ty!! Yes it is a different kind of crazy....I like school book/learning crazy....uprooting transitional crazy is a different story.

Its funny....I was just telling a friend the other day that I was jealous that he had already started....30 minutes later I was thinking "are you crazy?!?!?! you dont mean that!!" lol

Ty!! Yes it is a different kind of crazy....I like school book/learning crazy....uprooting transitional crazy is a different story.

Its funny....I was just telling a friend the other day that I was jealous that he had already started....30 minutes later I was thinking "are you crazy?!?!?! you dont mean that!!" lol

I agree the uprooting thing is crazy. I quit my prior career basically, moved to a new state where I know no one but extended family, and basically started my life completely over. The uprooting thing was a super positive thing for me though, and I love it here, so I am super happy about it.

And don't be too jealous (but definitely be excited), soon you'll be a day or or 2 in and you'll likely be overwhelmed (everyone in my class feels the same...at least who I have talked to, there are 89 of us!). Everyone always says it will be the hardest (yet most rewarding) 2 years of your life...I now get what was meant by that...haha! :) and today is only day 5...

My point...just enjoy the uprooting process overall (don't let it stress you out too much!), enjoy time off before class, and definitely have fun meeting all your new classmates before the new craziness of school and studying/in class 90% of your waking hours starts. :)

Part of my anxiety is not being the one bringing home the bacon. When we move, my wife has to find a job for us to survive on for the next 2 years. Luckily, she is a COTA (Occupational Therapy Assistant). So, at least once she does find a job, it will be some good income. It will be tough for me to accept not working at first. I mean I have held a job since I was 16.

Another part that will be difficult is dragging her away from her family. She never had the true college experience... or has ever been away from home for an extended time. So, it is really going to be a lot of change on her part. I keep telling her that it will all be worth it in the end... and she knows that. Getting away from her family might be a blessing for her anyway... they depend on her far too much.

Anywho.. counting down the days until I start hearing something from schools.

Just wait until it's time to figure out your abductor policis longus from your abductor policis brevus!

The toughest part for me in cadaver was the abdominal vessel plan. I mean who would think that the left gonadal vein would empty into the left renal vein... but the right gonadal vein empties into the Inf. Vena Cava... I mean how did that happen embryologically?

*note to add.... I know that the gonads descend from near the kidneys.... just don't understand how the left one empties into the Left renal vein.

I agree the uprooting thing is crazy. I quit my prior career basically, moved to a new state where I know no one but extended family, and basically started my life completely over.

Yep...thats me...minus the extended family.......my classmates ARE my extended family lol

It should be fun though...I definitely plan to enjoy myself once the move is over......buy myself a few restaurant.com gift certificates and have a ball lol

Part of my anxiety is not being the one bringing home the bacon.

Tell me about it...Ive been a single mom for 11 years and have worked longer than that. I actually quit my MA position in April only to go back to work 2 weeks later for another company.....I couldnt take it. No classes...now work....living off my mom---it was killing me. Now Im working and all this "stuff" is aroudn for me to do.....its stressful but for some sadistic reason......I like it lol

Guest guthriesm
Part of my anxiety is not being the one bringing home the bacon.

Completely understand- that was the biggest change in my home as well. My spouse was a post-doc so I brought home the income. Now the roles are reversed and it is very strange not putting any money in the bank.

Just_me : Take a deep breath! You can do this! Send me a note when you are in ATL, I can give you some tips on extreme couponing and living cheaply!

Yep.... Brachial plexus is rough.... Plus learning which muscles each nerve correspond with.

That is what we just covered (day 3...now on anterior arm/forearm). It is a,beast that I have not mastered yet. Our cadaver's is looking pretty though.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I'm about to have my first gross anatomy exam, but I have a few questions about the brachial plexus:

1) I was told in lecture that the median nerves are coming from spinal segments C5-T1, but in Gray's text it stated that it was C6-T1.

2) Does the lateral pectoral nerve innverate both the pectoralis major and minor, or just the pectoralis major?

Thank you for all of your comments/opinions!

Maybe you should start another thread for this.....that way it could get noticed by some of the surg folks

I'm about to have my first gross anatomy exam, but I have a few questions about the brachial plexus:

1) I was told in lecture that the median nerves are coming from spinal segments C5-T1, but in Gray's text it stated that it was C6-T1.

2) Does the lateral pectoral nerve innverate both the pectoralis major and minor, or just the pectoralis major?

Thank you for all of your comments/opinions!

CONGRATS.,....transitions are always tough.

I'm going back to school next week and am in the process of trying to finish up as many non-school things as possible ahead of time to make more time for school related activities(reading papers, etc).

Thanks!!

What are you going back to school for if you dont mind me asking?

You always seem so busy....how are you even fitting school into the equation? lol

CONGRATS.,....transitions are always tough.

I'm going back to school next week and am in the process of trying to finish up as many non-school things as possible ahead of time to make more time for school related activities(reading papers, etc).

Thanks!!

What are you going back to school for if you dont mind me asking?

You always seem so busy....how are you even fitting school into the equation? lol

A doctorate of health sciences/global health program. 4 years@ 1 class/semester while working full time. same program Mr. Bob here at the forum did a few yrs ago.

I'm cutting down my hrs to full time(160-170/mo) from 180-220/mo. to make time for the program.

Seems pretty cool....are you going international with medicine?

A doctorate of health sciences/global health program. 4 years@ 1 class/semester while working full time. same program Mr. Bob here at the forum did a few yrs ago.

I'm cutting down my hrs to full time(160-170/mo) from 180-220/mo. to make time for the program.

I know it's been said a dozen times already, but CONGRATS and take a DEEP breath before it starts. I just finished my 2nd week, have already learned more than I did in 2 months of undergrad, have my first anatomy exam next week and first standardized patient encounter after only one lecture on good ol' OLDCARTS haha. I'm more afraid of making an *** of myself in that room than I am failing anatomy at least... I'm definitely at least in the C range, would like to get an A but a B would be just fiiiiiine (*prays to the PA gods*)

It's a crazy, wild ride, but you can do it. Make lots of new friends so you can stress and de-stress together.

For the record, I finally have my brachial plexus and nerve innervations of the back/neck/upper limb pretty well down. Medial pectoral nerve innervates both pectoralis muscles because the medial does more. ;) It's these damn palmar muscles that are destroying me. Still have 4 days left to memorize, memorize, memorize...

(Also, embryology is rough. Trying to translate the 2D pictures into a three-dimensional "plate" with two bubbles of who-knows-what growing off of either side and figuring out where the connecting stalk and endometrium are in relation to all this... ack!!)

I know it's been said a dozen times already, but CONGRATS and take a DEEP breath before it starts. I just finished my 2nd week, have already learned more than I did in 2 months of undergrad, have my first anatomy exam next week and first standardized patient encounter after only one lecture on good ol' OLDCARTS haha. I'm more afraid of making an *** of myself in that room than I am failing anatomy at least... I'm definitely at least in the C range, would like to get an A but a B would be just fiiiiiine (*prays to the PA gods*)

It's a crazy, wild ride, but you can do it. Make lots of new friends so you can stress and de-stress together.

For the record, I finally have my brachial plexus and nerve innervations of the back/neck/upper limb pretty well down. Medial pectoral nerve innervates both pectoralis muscles because the medial does more. ;) It's these damn palmar muscles that are destroying me. Still have 4 days left to memorize, memorize, memorize...

(Also, embryology is rough. Trying to translate the 2D pictures into a three-dimensional "plate" with two bubbles of who-knows-what growing off of either side and figuring out where the connecting stalk and endometrium are in relation to all this... ack!!)

The beauty of it is that in 6 months you will remember none of that... Pretty frustrating, but only so much room up there and the information just keeps on coming.

The beauty of it is that in 6 months you will remember none of that... Pretty frustrating, but only so much room up there and the information just keeps on coming.

I'm actually perfectly happy with that, LOL! What I will remember are the clinical correlations- why I should ask someone to turn their head to check for dizziness (vertebral artery), why the scaphoid is the most often broken carpal bone, why quarterbacks have their shoulders dislocated right as they prepare to throw the ball, why most herniations occur at L4-L5/L5-S1. That's the meat and potatoes of what I want to learn! :)

It's fascinating, definitely. Just practice envisioning 2D images in 3D space and you'll be good to go. ;) Also, remember this mantra: Every cell replaces every other cell or just decides to change its name for no particular reason, it's all ~magic~. And something about sonic hedgehog.

Archived