GRE after initial applications?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my application and was thinking of taking the GRE so I could increase the number of schools I could apply to (non-GRE schools seem confined to the NE).

I was wondering, say I complete the entire application where CASPA marks everything complete and verified: can I submit my application to these programs, later take the GRE and apply to more programs after these initial applications are submitted?

I'm just trying to get my application out as soon as possible and unless I take the GRE without much preparation I would hold my applications up.

I would check with the schools you are applying to. The schools I am applying to have supplemental applications and require your GRE scores before they consider your application complete. Putting CASPA in earlier does not really do much for these types of schools because it will not be complete until they have received everything. That being said, it is a huge weight off the shoulders having CASPA completed and it doesn't do any harm in completing it as early as possible. Long story short...check with the individual school you want to apply to.

Will do. I just figured in addition to applying to the schools in my area I would pick 2-3 obscure-ish locations away from me. Mainly I'm concerned if I can get away with registering for the GRE for a date that's only a month away, I don't know if that is enough prep time.

its easier to go ahead and apply now to schools that do not require the GRE and then later add the ones that do once you have taken the GRE....thats what I did. I think theres a way to note that you plan to take the GRE but I cant remember. theres only one school that i know of so far that requires GRE scores on your CASPA app and thats cornell so as long as youre not applying there or anywhere like them then you should be fine

as said above, if the school requires the GRE for your app to be complete then no sense in sending your CASPA to them now, but the ones that do not require the GRE...I would submit to those schools. Also keep in mind that do the schools that require the GRE for your app to be complete, typically you have to have the test taken by a certain time in order for the scores to hit the school before their deadline.....find out that time frame.

Archived