re-certification

I have to re-certify for the first time before dec this year. anyone recommend any good (and not too expensive) board reviews? I am also interested in board review conferences, as I found that very helpful when I first took the boards 5 years ago.

please reply only if you know a good board review by experience, not just what you think!

I am coming up on my 2nd renewal - first one I had worked IM/Urgent care for 5 years and I took it at the first opportunity of the 4 and never cracked a book - passed

If you are in the primary care fields I don't think you should have to stucy very much if at all for the first go around... If in specialities might want to get the AAPA review book and do it.

I tend to do prescribers letter and JAAPA CME to stay up to date and seems to have been very well prepared for exam.... No experience with review courses though

I am coming up on my 2nd renewal - first one I had worked IM/Urgent care for 5 years and I took it at the first opportunity of the 4 and never cracked a book - passed

If you are in the primary care fields I don't think you should have to stucy very much if at all for the first go around... If in specialities might want to get the AAPA review book and do it.

I tend to do prescribers letter and JAAPA CME to stay up to date and seems to have been very well prepared for exam.... No experience with review courses though

cool beans :) great suggestion.

I have mostly been practicing in various surgical specialties. I think you have great advantage being in IM/primary care as far as boards (!), but it's good to know you did not have too much trouble with it; puts my mind at ease.

what are prescriber's letters?

thx, kitt

http://prescribersletter.therapeuticresearch.com/home.aspx?cs=&s=PRL&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

great source to stay up to date - focus on meds so make state license board happy (we have 6 credit hours per year to recert - or something like that - in pharmacolgy) Also the detail documents are nice and in a year you get 24 credits - 48 in two years so gives you a good chunck of CME

Here is a link from the AAPA folks. They tend to have listings of reviews. http://web.aapa.org/AAPA_Widgets/default.aspx?eventtype=rev_crs

If there is a PA school close by, they may have their own and a person could save on travel expense.

I just finished the review offered by Certified Medical Educators. A thee day thing. With the handout and study material. It seemed a good review.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in GI my whole career; 1st recert was a snap but second one is coming up rapidly. Getting a teensy bit edgy about it.

Anyway, I'd gone to the NCAPA's recert course in Raleigh prior to my 1st/latest recert, and thought it was pretty solid. Lasted M-F in a decent venue; took my week's CME allowance that year to attend. IIRC, cost was quite reasonable, esp for not being a member. Lots of well rounded, nuts & bolts topics. Figure I'll be rvisiting that one next year.

Archived