How can I kill my ER rotation?

This may be a little premature as my ER rotation doesn't start till next May but I'd like to at least start thinking of ways to prepare for it now.

Reasons being:

a.) I'd like to work in EM after graduation. 

b.) Following graduation, I'd like to work at the same hospital I'll be rotating at (used to work there as an ER tech per diem and thoroughly enjoyed the environment/people/etc.).

c.) My preceptor will be my pathophysiology professor from PA school and he's someone I greatly admire and respect and I'd love to have him as a proud SP someday. 

Any suggestions regarding reading material/apps/mindset or anything else?

If you think someone before you may have had the same question, it has probably already been asked.  Its always good to search the forums.  Tip: use google as the search engine by typing "site:physicianassistantforum.com" after your google search, and the results will be much better.  I did it for you this time:

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/6097-help-tips-and-suggestions-for-starting-new-grad-er-job/

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/18422-tips-for-er-rotation/

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/14185-emed-rotation/

My thought is that the best way for you to be impressive or "kill" your ER rotation is that by the middle of the rotation, your preceptor should consider you as someone who they can rely on. The ER is extremely busy. Your preceptor will greatly appreciate it if you are someone who they have to do less work with....example: you can go suture a laceration on your own, see a patient and come up with a game plan, etc etc. You don't want to be the student that slows them down!

1. Listen to EM Basics podcast while driving. Print out the show notes and keep them for reference and review. Each lesson basically goes through a common chief complaint at the emergency department how to work it out. These are gold.

2. Know how to present. Practice practice practice. The ED docs I worked with liked to hear it like this: chief complaint and history (OLD CARTS), ROS, allergies, medications, surgeries, then vitals and physical exam (and of course if the patient seems super sick you tell them up front before anything else). If you are bad at presenting information, like if it is out of order or if you were rambling, you will lose them and they might get annoyed. Learn how to present with methodically and quickly. This will also help you in the future to organize info in your mind.

3. Be enthusiastic and interested. Introduce yourself to all of the doctors and providers in the emergency department and tell them to let you know if they have an interesting case or procedure. I think it's far better to jump in and ask to see things than it is to sit back politely and wait to be told what to do -- you'll gain much more experience that way and you'll probably be respected for your enthusiasm. I had three ER rotations and my preceptors were more than fine with me jumping to different cases in order to get the most exposure. I learned and saw a lot more than way than if I had just stuck with "my patients." Some ER rotations are more structured than others so of course it depends on your setting. In my second ER rotation I was literally just bouncing around between providers on my own… I still learned a ton.

Message me if you need anything.

Archived