3 years in, looking to change jobs...

Hello,

I have been working in ob/gyn for 3 years now and I am considering leaving. This was the first job I took after graduation. I took the job because I really liked my boss - he is very personable, knowledgeable and always wanting to learn the next best thing. Also, I grew to enjoy the continuity of care. However, his type B behavior is finally getting to me. I am very detail oriented and take documentation seriously, he does not. It's getting to the point where I have caught several potentially bad mistakes (i.e. writing normal on a not normal u/s - potentially uterine cancer and his reply is, "oh, whoops.") I am so sick of walking into empty charts. I really like him as a person but fundamentally we work very differently. In addition, the work climate is very hostile and people don't help each other (i.e. "not my pt, so I won't help you").

At this point I am frustrated and anxious. I am nervous to apply to other jobs because I lack confidence and do not feel adequately prepared. My boss never took the time to train me, I had to learn everything on the fly. I don't know if that will be satisfactory elsewhere.

Is it ridiculous to think I could find a work environment where people pull their weight and work together toward a common goal of what would be best for the pt? Should I consider a different route with my PA degree? What else could I do? I do truly love helping people and making them better and enjoying a better quality of life, but I am burnt out. (I also room all my pt,s answer triage and messages on top of seeing pts by myself). I am not that informed about an administration type of job with a PA degree....

I suppose I am looking for advice and other people's perspectives on the matter.

Thank you for taking the time to respond (if you do).

I would think you would be able to find another job with ease. 3 years at a place is more than enough time for you to have become comfortable with the cases. Try to go somewhere else that already has other PAs employed if you feel like you could use extra support. At least then you know they are using Pas and they have been somewhat successful at that practice. As far as using your degree for something else, I'd encourage you to stick with clinical medicine. It's easy to become frustrated and want to escape to a non clinical position but I think you'd be cheating yourself of the opportunity to continue to grow and find a place where you are truly comfortable.

This "boss" is your SP? 

Remember "nice person" and "good clinician" are great if they go together but they often don't.  My concern for you is that one of these cases that he "forgets" to document is going to come back to bite both of you.

protect yourself.  I'd look for another job. 

Archived