Should I tell schools that I've been accepted to another program?

I've already been accepted to a program that I'm very excited about. One of the big selling points for me is that the program has a small class size and it seems to be very well organized, with all of the professors working very close together with one another. However, I have an interview coming up at a state school, which is half the cost, and significantly closer to my family. After reading about how unorganized some programs are, I want to make sure that the program of the upcoming interview is as organized and appealing as the program I have already been accepted to. If it comes up, should I let it be known that I've been accepted elsewhere? Thanks!

Ok thanks! I guess there's a part of me that wishes I could approach it like: "I've been accepted to a program, and they have x and y to offer, but I'm really interested in coming here and I'd like to know how, even as a larger program, you're also able to offer just as strong of an experience." But I understand it clearly isn't appropriate to address it that directly.

I would first decide if you would be happy to attend the program you've already been accepted to. However, I would still tell the State school that you've been accepted. Sometimes this works in your favor; especially if they want you as a candidate. They might notify you earlier to see if you'll commit, and if not the have time to select someone else. Already knowing that you have a slot in a class will help you relax much more. Programs are used to applicants applying to multiple programs and getting accepted to some. If you still choose to interview at the State school, they will more than likely still think you're a viable candidate, or why would you even bother to interview. Good Luck, and congratulate yourself for becoming a PA-S.

Thanks for the congratulations! It's been a long path, and I know it's not over yet, but it feels great to have made it this far. In regards to your question, I would be very happy to attend the school I've been accepted to. So much so that I even considered declining my interview at the state school. However, the cost and proximity to my family that the state school offers is something that I can't ignore. Another issue I forgot to mention is that the school I've been accepted to starts in January, whereas the state school starts in May. This means I'm going to need to wait to hear back from the state school while simultaneously making living arrangements, etc. in another state. I wasn't planning on lying if asked, I was really just wondering if it would be acceptable to come out and explain my situation, while making it clear that I'm still interested in the state school, but that I would need to hear back in a timely manner and I would need to be confident that they were offering as equally good of an experience. However, just going over it in my head or typing it out here I feel like it would make me come across as an arrogant, demanding asshole, which isn't what I'm going for at all. I would love to stay in-state, be closer to my wife and child, and save money, but at the same time I don't want to risk missing out on a program which I am already very confident in.

but at the same time I don't want to risk missing out on a program which I am already very confident in.

Then you have your answer :) You're already guaranteed a seat . The debate comes down to, do you send in your deposit and make living arrangements, or do you hold out longer and risk not accepted closer to home, but now you waited too long and lost your seat at the other program. 

If another $500-1000 (deposit) isn't a large loss in the grand scheme of things, send in your deposit and hold out for the closer program, that is if they notify you soon enough.

Yeah I already put my deposit in and I'm making tentative plans to move down in early December. In your opinion, if it doesn't come up naturally, at the end of the interview when they ask if I have any questions, do you think it would be appropriate to ask something along the lines of, "when can I expect to hear back? This is my top school, however, I've accepted an offer from another school that begins in January and I have to be sure that I have everything in line in case I don't get in here?"

As someone who is also accepted to a program starting in January, and have interviewed at schools after the acceptance... I would not bring it up.

I would ask when to expect to hear back, but nothing else. Adcoms know that the people they are interviewing are competitive and considering multiple options, and that a good number of the interviewees already have acceptances. I really doubt they are going to change the date the committee will meet up to discuss the interviews because one person told them he already had an acceptance. It could even backfire, depending on the interviewer. The competition is so high there are multiple very-qualified people vying for each spot... or maybe the interviewer finds it a bit too forward... who knows. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived