University of the Pacific PA Program in Sacramento

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also got an interview invitation for June 6. Seems so far away! I just got accepted elsewhere, but would love to stay in California. Excited to see progress towards matriculation. Everyone who has interviewed or gone to the informative sessions seem to be impressed. Does anyone have any hesitations or reservations about it being a new program?

I don't have any worries about it being new. I was telling somebody else the only thing I am worried about is the amount of students they are taking on. 45 seems like a lot since the school and facilities aren't very big. The faculty I have no reservations toward. They come from pretty prestigious backgrounds.

I also received an invite to interview on June 6th...which seems like ages away! UOP is a great school! I find out from 2 other schools I interviewed for before the UOP interview. This makes my life very interesting and so unknown! I'm still very excited at this opportunity !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for those that got an interview, do you mind sharing stats? I would like to see areas where I can improve. As of CASPA time I had:

3200 hrs HCE (2k of those volunteer hands-on at a free clinic running my own appointments as well as doing phlebotomy, 1200 in a women's clinic in underserved area). Just took another job as a scribe in an ED. Will have 4-5k hours at time of next application.

3.4 undergrad, BA in Marketing

4.0 post-bac science

80 hrs of PA shadowing (cardiology and primary care PAs)

No GRE

35 years old at time of applying

letters of rec from 2 MDs, and ED of women's clinic, I've worked with them all for 2-4 years

I'm limited geographically because of my step-daughter, and I liked UOP's program best. Any suggestions where you see areas to improve? Thanks for the feedback.

I honestly think that sounds great. I'm not 100% sure what the problem is unless your pre bachelor work is not good. My only recommendation is to apply to more schools next cycle. The more you apply to the better the chances.

for those that got an interview, do you mind sharing stats? I would like to see areas where I can improve.  As of CASPA time I had:

3200 hrs HCE (2k of those volunteer hands-on at a free clinic running my own appointments as well as doing phlebotomy, 1200 in a women's clinic in underserved area). Just took another job as a scribe in an ED.  Will have 4-5k hours at time of next application.

3.4 undergrad, BA in Marketing

4.0 post-bac science

80 hrs of PA shadowing (cardiology and primary care PAs)

No GRE

35 years old at time of applying

letters of rec from 2 MDs, and ED of women's clinic, I've worked with them all for 2-4 years

I'm limited geographically because of my step-daughter, and I liked UOP's program best. Any suggestions where you see areas to improve?  Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with Shaunring; your stats look good! Also, I haven't gotten in yet... so I probably shouldn't be one to spill advice. But the only things I'd suggest:

• Is your HCE considered "direct care interaction"? The majority seems to be, but I do know some schools do not count scribe hours as HCE, so be mindful if applying to more schools next year.
  • Consider trying to get 1 letter of rec from a PA; and then the other two I would make sure represent different aspects of your application. Like 1 letter from a relevant (science/health-field) professor to speak to your academic preparedness for a grad program and 1 letter of rec from a healthcare supervisor/employer to speak to your work ethic/interaction with patients, etc. 

I agree with Shaunring; your stats look good! Also, I haven't gotten in yet... so I probably shouldn't be one to spill advice. But the only things I'd suggest:

• Is your HCE considered "direct care interaction"? The majority seems to be, but I do know some schools do not count scribe hours as HCE, so be mindful if applying to more schools next year.
  • Consider trying to get 1 letter of rec from a PA; and then the other two I would make sure represent different aspects of your application. Like 1 letter from a relevant (science/health-field) professor to speak to your academic preparedness for a grad program and 1 letter of rec from a healthcare supervisor/employer to speak to your work ethic/interaction with patients, etc. 

thanks kd90909, I think the advice on the letters of rec is a great idea. I didn't have a PA I knew well enough last year to ask, but I do this next cycle.  Good luck to you!

I don't have any worries about it being new. I was telling somebody else the only thing I am worried about is the amount of students they are taking on. 45 seems like a lot since the school and facilities aren't very big. The faculty I have no reservations toward. They come from pretty prestigious backgrounds.

Hey Shaunring-

I saw earlier in the thread that you got accepted. Congratulations! I have my interview on May 5th. I am interested if you would be willing to share some of the questions that they asked you? Also, I would welcome any tips that you have for me. 

All the best,

Shelbi

ShelbiFletcher, we were all asked not to share specifics about the interview day. If you're prepared, you will be fine! Don't stress about the details.

No problem, I appreciate the reply.  Congrats to you as well! Do you know how many students have been accepted yet? Also, no worries if you can't answer that either.

Congratulations to all that were accepted!

Has anybody started looking at housing yet? I am not that familiar with the area and I would like to know what areas are best to live (safe, yet affordable for students living on loans!). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Congratulations to all that were accepted!

Has anybody started looking at housing yet? I am not that familiar with the area and I would like to know what areas are best to live (safe, yet affordable for students living on loans!). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I live in Sacramento and can offer help with housing if anybody needs it.

Unfortunately the rent in Sac is going up very fast. A year ago I was paying $725 for a 1 bedroom in midtown (a very desirable area to live) and now 1 bedrooms there are going for $950-1500 depending on what you're looking for.

As far as neighborhoods near campus go- midtown and downtown are where most young professionals live. Pros: fun area, tons of restaurants and coffee shops and bars within walking distance. Cons: parking can be a huge problem, can be loud, more expensive.

East Sac is a more family-oriented version of midtown. If you can find an affordable place here I would highly recommend it. Curtis Park, Land Park, and Tahoe Park also have a similar feel. All of these neighborhoods would be an easy commute to campus.

North Oak Park (near McGeorge campus) is sort of an up-and-coming neighborhood and probably the most affordable right now. Try not to venture too far from campus because historically Oak Park can get a bit rough.

If you're willing to drive a bit further, River Park (area near Sac State campus), Greenhaven, and even bits of West Sac are good alternatives as quiet, family type neighborhoods that are much more affordable.

Check out craigslist, hodpads, and some of the property management websites (Nielsen, Whisler, Cada). If anybody has more specific questions I'm happy to help.

Thanks lyttmab for the information. My wife and I are looking to buy. since rent is on the expensive side. We will look at the areas you suggested. 

Breyrey, I heard back about a week after. Mr. Grant called me, but they send official invitations in the mail, which I am still awaiting delivery. I am not sure if things have changed, but they said that the acceptances would be rolling through November (I believe). If you haven't heard anything, I would just stay patient. Good luck to you.

By the way, if anybody is looking at roommate options with other students, please private message me. 

Archived