Clinical rotations with food allergies, anyone?

I'm not there yet, but it's always a concern when you live with food allergies. I'm curious if any of you have had to cope with long clinical rotation hours while figuring out how you'll feed yourself having food allergies. I'm allergic to dairy and eggs and find it pretty hard to eat out safely in general. I've also never been very successful with going more than 3-4 hours without some sort of food. I know I can carry safe snack bars, but I'll eventually need a few calory-dense meals. So, a simple salad with italian dressing in the cafeteria just won't cut it. (Using that as an example because it usually one of the typical options for safe food.)

I'd love to hear your experiences with this if you have any!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I usually cooked a week's worth of food on the weekend so I can just grab and go during the rotation. Chicken noodle soup, chowders, tuna sandwich were common. During surg, I made a ton of oatmeal so I could gobble it in the morning. I added flaxseed and different fruits for variety. Gets boring but it filled me up for a long time.

Archived