Medical Coding Certificate

Guest Quality

Hi,

I had to throw my two cents in on this one. I run my own business in Austin for electronic medical billing and bank drafting services and it is my experience that coders are specialized and work for a doctor's practice specifically for coding. The time it takes to make sure you are updated on the many changes that happen in coding is exhausting. Insurance companies change things all the time. I wouldn't think it would help you.

I would concentrate on providing the best patient care I could. In my business, we free up the doctor's staff so that patient care is top-notch. That is what grows the doctor's business - referrals from existing patients. Well, that an making sure the doctor gets paid consistently from insurance and patients in the month they see them!

Good luck! We need more people in the medical field.

Janis

NO, I did that in my other life.

I did keep my coding certification until last year and I'm not sure if it made me more marketable or just interesting (switching professions mid life and graduating PA school in my 40's) but doesn't bring extra income. The doc's like that I have a good knowlege of it But it isn't worth the pain it is to go through being certified and then keeping up with the changes as stated above.

I also majored in Spanish while doing my PA pre-req's. That made me more marketable and made finding a job fairly easy.

• 2 years later...

Well I think this would depend on what practice setting you are in and how your salary is configured. Two instances where it might be beneficial for medical coding classes would be production based (RVUs) or salary +/- bonus depending on money generated. These 2 scenarios could greatly be beneficial with coding classes. Having said that I would only take the 1 week or night classes for a couple weeks type coding classes and nothing longer. I don't know if you would be certified but I know providers who took the above mentioned classes and said they really help.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being a Certified Medical Coder for the past 13 years, I would have to say no it would not be worth getting "certified". But I will say that it would be very beneficial to take a few CEU courses as well as ask the "billing office" if there is any suggestions they may have. The number one reason I have found for either overbilling or underbilling was all directly related to improper documentation. I am currently in process of changing careers, hopefully will begin PA School this year (upcoming interviews), I have chose to not renew my license. I do plan on attending CEU classes just to that I can stay aware of changes that have been implemented. There are so many rules that it would be beneficial to review the coding guidlines for your specific specialty. Example: can not have certain tests done on same day as other test Medicare also has a list of codes that they only allow for certain diagnosis, so it would be beneficial to the practice if you were aware of these. Example. Order CT Head, but "rule out" diagnosis is not payable, signs and symptoms would need to be the diagnosing order.

• 6 months later...

Archived