Certification question

So just curious if anyone has practiced with current Texas license without recertifying. Tx rules are you do not have to recertify to maintain license and after talking to malpractice provider, they don't require certification, just license. Ive been out of workforce for several years and am due to recertify but with all the new hoops that seem to only line the pockets of aapa just questioning if it is necessary in order to work

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Honestly - don't even think about it.

No insurance company or hospital will give you privileges without your NCCPA, credentials are everything.

Mississippi was the last state that allowed PAs without the C.

Every PA should have NCCPA certification in my opinion - even federal.

It is the only way to keep standards and integrity in our profession.

It is your defensibility to your professional acumen with requirements for CME and retesting.

Just my honest opinion

Is licensure required to practice as a PA in the United States?

Licensure is required for medical professionals in the U.S. Each state sets its own requirements for a license as a physician assistant. To obtain a license, an individual, even one educated as a PA or physician in another country, must graduate from an ARC-PA accredited U.S. physician assistant program and pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE) administered by the National Commission on Certifying of Physician Assistants (NCCPA). There are NO states that have an exception to this rule.

This is from the NCCPA website.

I just think it is a bad idea to not be certified.

In all honesty, the PA looks bad from a defensability standpoint and it doesn't speak well to continual learning and maintaining current standards.

A physician has to have a license and renew boards every so often. A non-boarded physician pretty much works in a doc-in-a-box or goes out of the country.

Just because it CAN be done doesn't ever mean it is a good idea.

I am from Texas and went to school there and moved away over 15 years ago. We were "registered" when I was there and just got licensure right before I left and I never had prescriptive rights when I was there. I walked around with an illegal signed pad in my pocket all the time.............

Texas is about 5-7 years BEHIND the East Coast and the most progressive PA states and laws.

Unfortunately in our day and age - start each thought with "Well, your Honor, I WAS certified................"

Just my thoughts - not worth the risk or the lapse.

Could you have an NPI without certification? Can you prescribe without certification? 

I would assume prescription privileges are linked to license. Dea registration might be linked to certification.

I've been a PA since the 90s so remember the growing pains. But coming back into the system and seeing this new CME junk linked to the new certification process that to me looks like a way to pony up more money to AAPA just kinda makes me stop, think, ask questions. We still must have CME to maintain license in state. My basic opinion is that taking a test every six years did not make me a better PA, just a box I had to check off.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived