New Grad - Rural Medicine

Hey Everyone

I am a new grad PA with rural EM experience an an ER tech in my previous life.  I have always wanted to practice in emergency medicine, and feel my personality fits the field nicely.  I have done 2 EM rotations, and have ACLS/PALS/ATLS certs.  Feel good with most procedures, except the low volume/high risk ones (intubation, thracostomy, crich - which I feel I could do in a pinch, but would certainly prefer more practice with).  I have gotten good feedback from providers I have worked with regarding my clinical skills.  

I have a possible job offer from a rural clinic in a 1,500 person town in the mountain west.  It is certainly not a receiving facility, and is more of a critical access shop.  The job involves ED call, clinic and nursing home coverage.  There is a doc in town, but shifts would be worked mostly alone with phone supervision.  

This is definitely my dream job - I'm not much of a city person, however, I don't want to be in a situation where I put my patients and my license at risk.  I know I can handle a lot of what comes through the doors, but as a new grad, I know would be shuffling trying to manage many patients (taking extra time to research and make sure i'm not missing things).  I don't want to make a bad decision for myself, but mostly for my future patients.  it isn't the stabilize and transfer I am worried about - it is the patients who are on the cusp of sick vs. not sick.  

Basically, I am asking for honest advice from folks who have been in a situation like this.  I don't want you to think I am some cocky new grad who thinks he knows everything.  If there is anything I am confident about, it is that there is a lot I don't know.  I just don't want to pass up a good opportunity that I think I would be good at.  

Thanks in advance.

Guest Paula

I say go for it as long as you have a competent physician as your collaborator who will back you up and be available if needed.  With clinic and nursing home coverage you will learn lots there.  How much time in the clinic?  Do they provide a training time where you can work closely with the physician in the ER? Who else works ED call?  

What is the yearly volume of the ED?   If it is completely crazy busy and you have no time to think or respond to whatever comes in, then you might want to get 2 years  or so experience elsewhere before taking this job.  

Thanks for your reply, Paula.  It is mostly clinic, with ER call pretty much all the time.  They certainly see less than 10 patients per day in the ED, most days closer to 4.  Still have the opportunity for any acuity patient to come through the doors

Basically, the daily deal is round on hospital patients (less acute/obs can be admitted), see clinic/SNF patients, bop over to the ED when needed.  Sounds like lots of call.  There are associated with a larger hospital, so shifts can be worked in their ED or OR to get lower volume procedures up to date.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Any tips going in to something like this as a new grad?  I don't want to fall into my own bad habits.  

make up a binder for yourself  with info that you need at the tips of your fingers at all times, but won't use very often. in mine I have inclusion/exclusion criteria for TPA, stroke scales, a nice protocol medic25 sent me for reversing anticoagulants,contact #s for local stroke and stemi ctrs for transfers, etc

Archived