Withdrawal/Drops (Ws) and Personal Statement

Hi guys,

So I've heard contradictory opinions about this and whether or not to include this in my personal statement or just be ready to explain them in interviews if asked. Some schools have it as an additional question on CASPA and some don't. I have a W in Anatomy and Phys

My dean and I worked on a statement to put on the CASPA question, because it asks on the general application, and you can't lie. We stated a brief explanation, which included that what happened is no longer a factor in my academic or personal pursuits (do not use those words, those are mine). I also have a letter of recommendation from my dean. 

My dean and I worked on a statement to put on the CASPA question, because it asks on the general application, and you can't lie. We stated a brief explanation, which included that what happened is no longer a factor in my academic or personal pursuits (do not use those words, those are mine). I also have a letter of recommendation from my dean. 

Just curious, what "general application"?  

Agree - NEVER lie about anything.  It WILL come back to haunt you!  :)  

Those sections of the CASPA you fill out. One of the questions asks if you've been suspended, put on probation/academic warning, dismissed, etc, and you must explain the circumstances and result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice but I always figured this section was an explanation for your grades being severely low within you major or if you were caught cheating...

If what you wrote works for you within the narrative of your essay, by all means, do what you are comfortable with. But in the response to the specific questions you reference is where you explain those (or in the supplemental if it's a question there), not typically in the primary personal statement (essay) which is where you tell your story as to why you want to, and will be, a great PA.

I answered yes to the question about academic probation, and just referenced the semester it happened and that my grades subsequently improved removing me from probation. The transcripts speak for themselves as to the supporting facts. I had NUMEROUS withdrawals in my bachelors (worked and had a family) back when there was no limit on withdrawals. I also had a semester of Fs. If I'd tried to explain my checkered academic past in my personal statement, there wouldn't have been space for much more. :)

With your GPA, you probably wouldn't even be asked about them, not when you did finish them later with exemplary grades.

Have you ever been disciplined by any college, university, or professional school for: (1) unacceptable academic performance (academic probation, suspension, dismissal, etc.) or (2) conduct violations?

Nope it's for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question specifically asks if you have had disciplinary action against you for those reasons. Dropping 2 courses did not entail this. 

Withdrawing from classes definitely does not consitute a "yes" to that question without other factors so don't worry about that. I had a few W's on my transcript (maybe two?) because I changed my mind about certain classes after the drop date. Unless you withdrew from an entire semester or have a trend of W's all over your transcript I would definitely not mention it in your PS. Schools really just want to know if you can handle the academic rigor of the PA school and your awesome gpa demonstrates that.

Also I was never asked about my W's and had no issues getting interviews but be prepared to discuss them if they do come up l.

Good luck and feel free to message if you have any questions!

Archived