Comunity College for Prereqs

Sorry if this is already a topic. I could not find it. 

My question is, I recently got out of the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman and am finishing my business degree in December. I would like to use the rest of my GI Bill to help pay for PA school, but I need to take most of my prereqs. Financially it would be best to take these at a CC and pay out of pocket and then use GI Bill for PA school, but I have heard some people say this is looked down on. I know people who have done it, but just trying to get some feed back on what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Like most things in the admissions process, it depends on which programs you're applying to. I understand that some programs won't accept community college credits at all, some prefer not to see them, and others don't care a bit either way. For what it's worth, every school I've talked with has been perfectly ok with community college credits. Fortunately, admissions people seem to be generally available and willing to help, so you can contact them and ask for specific advice. Good luck.

Second what doug said. Just make sure you can get all your classes in (some places have orgo and/or biochem as upper division credits, so you may bump into a roadblock there).  Also, ask the programs you are interested in on their policy for SMART transcript courses for prerequisites. Some programs don't count them, some will count them but apply a grade of 'C' to them, etc. So make sure you know their policy if you're going to try and use them.

Good luck, shipmate.

Archived