PA Personal Statement

Hello, I am applying to PA school in several locations and have been writing and rewriting...then deleting and rewriting my personal statement. I would greatly appreciate feedback. Either negative or positive, I value each form. Thank you

Shouts of agony and cries for help from the base of a frozen waterfall. My climbing partner and I arrived first on scene to a man lying in the snow. He was a fellow ice climber who had suffered a fall of forty feet and had sustained a severe lower leg injury. I protected him against hypothermia, helped my partner splint his left leg, and gathered other climbers for an efficient evacuation.

While initially drawn to health sciences from my Wilderness First Responder training, I have always taken an active role in fitness and education. Accomplishing personal goals in high school sports such as cross-country and baseball have instilled a love for health. Participating in a high school exchange program to France invoked a passion for learning beyond the classroom. Devoted to my passions, my approach to balancing fitness and learning extended to college. My endeavors as an educator in outdoor expeditions to my courses in immunology and molecular genetics allowed me a comprehensive view of human well being. From epigenetics, to autoimmune diseases to psychology, my love for gaining knowledge in order to improve the lives of others helps to define my motivation to become a physician assistant.

Success in academia has taught me the diligence and focus required to pursue a path of excellence in my professional career. Currently, as a Certified Nursing Assistant in geriatrics, I monitor nutrition intake and skin care, document vital signs, prevent sores or infections and react to other challenges common in healthcare. I believe my area of practice is a medically undeserved setting, where the 156-bed long-term care facility suffers a shortage of professional healthcare providers. Despite the reasons for this void, the residents of the facility are deprived of a better quality of life. This observation strengthens my desire to exceed my limited role in patient care and pursue a career as a physician assistant.

To achieve my goals, I have remained dedicated to my learning philosophy. Beyond work, I have completed a Basic Life Support course, recertified my Wilderness First Responder certification, presently volunteer as a lab technician at the local hospital and continue to engage in shadowing experiences. Shadowing physician assistants in rural care also highlights the inequalities suffered by low populated areas, where care extends to house calls and necessitates a broad range of medical knowledge. I understand that the personal incentive to pursue disease-specific research beyond clinical hours is critical to patient recovery. The spirit to overcome such obstacles aligns with my personal character.

After reviewing newsletters and literature I receive as a member of the American Association of Physician Assistants, my desire to become a physician assistant and help those in need is undaunted. As an interactive student in and beyond the classroom, I am confident in my ability to endure the rigors of a physician assistant education.

I am no expert by a long shot, but doesn't sound bad to me. Only thing that really stood out to me was your description of what a CNA does. You are writing an application that will be reviewed by medical professionals. Chances are pretty high they know what a CNA does.

on a complete side note..your WFR...through WMI/NOLS or WMS, SOLO? I know you are cramped for space in the PS, but maybe taking out the blurb of what a CNA does and find room to talk about your experience teaching outdoor expedition/expedition behavior/being a supportive team member.

Archived