Need help with personal statement!

As I walked into the room it felt like any other normal day. The patient looked peaceful sleeping in the bed or so I thought. As I tried to wake the patient I quickly realized that they were not going to wake up I started screaming for help as a handful of nurses ran into the room. I had to push the dreaded blue button. I ran out of the room to get the vitals machine and the EKG machine as the nurses started compressions. I stood on the side lines ready to grab anything they needed in a moment’s notice hoping that the patient would pull through. Shortly after an influx of doctors and rapid nurses all started to come into the room and assess what was going on. I remember all of them having such a calm and collected attitude. I thought to myself: “I want to be that person, I want to be the one saving people”. I want to be the person who is calling the shots. The person who knows how to solve the problem before anyone else.

In my experiences at Lahey I have witnessed quite a few code blues and many tense situations. I believe that these experiences have helped me to understand what it’s like to be in a high pressure situation and have prepared me for what is to come in my future career.I have always thrived in an environment where I am constantly being challenged. Fitting the pieces back together is something that I enjoy. As a PA I will have the opportunity to diagnose someone and figure out what the next move is to help them get better.

Unfortunately, like many kids now my parents got divorced when I was very young. Growing up my mom was the main influence in my life. This may have been part of the reason I was always interesting in the medical field. She worked at a hospital in the ophthalmology clinic and sometimes she would have to bring me to work with her if we didn’t have a babysitter. I remember her showing me all of the equipment that she used and I was fascinated. She had these books that had pictures of the retina, optic nerve and other parts of the eye. I would look at them for hours intrigued by their beauty. At the time I didn’t know that I would end up having such a strong passion for the medical field but I am glad I grew up to still have an interest.

Why do I want to become a PA? Well I can’t say that it has been my dream for as long as I can remember. I can say however that since high school I have always known that I wanted to work somewhere in the medical field. I remember taking anatomy my senior year being fascinated with everything we were learning and I was eager to learn more from that class on. I must say I kind of stumbled through my freshman year of college like most of the students I wasn’t really sure what path I wanted to take. At first I thought physical therapy because I loved sports and I thought it would be cool to treat athletes. I quickly realized that physical therapy was not the right career for me. It was too slow paced and repetitive. After I shadowed the PA I knew that I would be faced with new obstacles every day and that was something that excited me and drove me to the conclusion that a PA was the right fit.

Of course everyone thinks medical school initially but did I really want to be stuck in one specialty forever? I like to explore new things I like to learn new things every day. I don’t want to be constrained to just one subject I want knowledge on all of the specialties. When I discovered the PA profession my sophomore year I was eager to learn more. After shadowing a PA I knew that this would be something that I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

I strive in a collaborative environment. Having played competitive sports my entire life, I am used to working on a team. Working together well was one of the main goals of the team in order to ensure fluidity throughout our games and practices. Also at the hospital I work very closely with the nurses. Maintaining a good relationship with them is key to ensure the best care for the patients.

This is what I have so far?? Not sure if I'm on the right track. I also don't know how to end it! Help is appreciated!

Get thee to a writing center! Your punctuation needs help.  Keep it professional (don't use the word cool). You may gain a base of knowledge, but there are so many specialties that it's unlikely you'll ever have knowledge of all of them. You thrive--not strive--in a collaborative environment. Refer back to your opening for a better conclusion.

You have no flow through this statement, making it very difficult to read fluently.  Also, your descriptions of different health care providers does not show that you have any idea about what they actually do and how they interact together.  It is also quite unlikely that you will be able to bounce around specialties as you get bored or gain expertise.

Archived