Call pager compensation

I need information on the going rate for carrying a call pager.

I work with 3 cardiologists in a multispecialty group, seeing patients in the clinic and hospital.

Currently the MDs are taking weekly call every 3rd with 2 PAs helping to round 2 weekends out of the month. They're planning to work one PA a month into the weekly call schedule. I need to know what is a fair compensation rate for carrying the call pager.

Thanks.

I have been offered in the past the kingly sum of (wait for it..) $1.80 per hour to carry the call pager (with my regular hourly rate thrown in if I had to go in to see a pt)!!! I would not settle for less (roll eyes). my current boss asked me last summer if I wanted to cover call while he vacationed, and I said, "sure, but it'll cost you!". he did not find my comment humorous, and took call himself -- from ISRAEL. cheap, cheap, cheap. but he paid another surgeon a flat rate $5,000 per weekend to be on emergency OR call.

I don't understand the absurd rates offered PAs for call. it's so utterly insulting. the surgeons I used to work for earned I think a flat $450/day for carrying the call pager. outrageous. in my opinion, if you're carrying a pager, you're not able to freely enjoy your weekend or make plans...therefore I think compensation should be at a minimum your hourly rate, with OT if you have to go in and see a pt. or 80% of what the docs get (same as a PAs billing rate).

many threads on this topic already

DO NOT take call with out compensation - you make it horrible for all us that want to be compensated for giving up our free time

in general - to take weeknight call 25% of a days pay

more then just telephone call should be MUCH more pay

if you gotta go in it should be at a premium OVER and ABOVE your regular hourly rate...

PS, ventana -- I never took call at those rates. I just plain laughed and said are you KIDDING??? NO THANK YOU! I agree with you. taking essentially zero to nothing for call puts all of us in a terrible position, and no one should work for that kind of beyond-insulting rate! let the docs cover call at their fat rates; if it's so distasteful to them to cover call, they should fully pay for the service another is providing for them!! terrible.

YAHOOOO now if we can get every PA to do the same...

Just heard a local PA that is in a clinic that is melting down (lost PA and MD in the last year and left with MD and PA now - hosptial owned) that she VOLUNTEERED to be on call every other night and split weekends! Not getting paid at all WTH?? i would love to tell her she is an idiot for that one!

Archived