Will mentioning this hurt my personal narrative?

Hello all, 

While writing my personal narrative I definitely wanted to bring up my background in psychology and public health - I believe that would be something which sets me apart.

At the same time, I don't want to sound like the nursing model sounds more appealing to me than the medical model. From what I've been reading, PAs treat diagnoses and diseases while NPs are more holistic, treating the entire person, including mental health.

I obviously want to clearly differentiate between NPs and PAs in my narrative, stating why I'd rather be a PA. Would it hurt my personal narrative to mention integrating mental health and being aware of public health issues as a PA? Basically, would it sound like I'm hoping to do something outside of the scope of a PA?

I feel like I may be thinking too much into this. Anyhow, thanks in advance! 

There is no downside to knowing about public health and having a psychology background. Neither are "outside the scope."

People become PAs with all kinds of prior backgrounds. Knowing why you want to become one is important, not just for your personal statement, but for your life's direction.

I work with NPs in my ER side by side and I can guarantee you we treat patients no differently. Don't get into all the holistic vs medical model nonsense. Tell them who YOU are. That's all they want. And being aware of public health issues is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived