How much will a regionally specific narrative limit my prospects

After working and living in southern Louisiana, and getting a ton of experience working with telemedicine, it's my desire to utilize this technology to reach the underserved areas of the Gulf Coast. I describe this in detail in my PS, but I'm curious how much that will limit me when applying to schools outside of the Gulf Coast region. I know most schools look for students that will stay in the area and work once they graduate. Any insight into whether it's worth the time and money to apply to schools far away from the Gulf Coast, such as in the northwest, if I make it clear in my statement that I plan to return to this region following graduation? Thanks.

• Administrator

Pacific takes students from all over, and most of them go back where they came from.  Wouldn't hurt to apply there.  Not so sure OHSU, UW, or Idaho State would be as open, as traditionally state schools prefer in-state applicants, but you could always call or email and ask.

Archived