How much experience?

Recently, I have been shadowing a PA in the ER and she recommended that PAs who want to pursue Emergency Medicine after PA school should work at least one year in family medicine, two to three years in urgent care, and then go to the ER (This was also her path to her current job). She felt most prepared going this route, and said was minimally trained when she started in the ER. 

I wanted to  see if there was anyone who went straight to work in the ER after PA school and what their experience was like? Also, could you discuss what your training was like after PA school. Was it minimal or intensive? 

Thank you. 

I did er tech to paramedic before pa school then urgent care for 2 years as a pa then em. I think going urgent care to em is fine if you want em in the long run.

an em residency is a better path in my opinion. spending time in fp will teach you some basics about pt care , but is a completely different mind set than urgent care/em and might actually be a step in the wrong direction for someone intent on em.

The PA I shadowed said FP was a good experience to learn the basics, but was not for her. Thank you for the advice. Did you do any extra rotations in PA school for emergency medicine?

yup, lots:

trauma surgery, pediatric emergency medicine, and 2 other ER rotations totaling 27 of 54 weeks total in em and trauma. my program allowed for "Selectives" : 12 weeks of extra FP OR 12 weeks of extra EM. Trauma surgery OR general surgery. Office pediatrics OR pediatric emergency medicine, etc.

Also took ATLS, ACLS instructor, neonatal resuscitation, and PHTLS instructor while in PA school( already had acls, pals, btls from being a medic).

Archived