speaking to a new partner

Looking at buying into an established practice (two owners)- buying out a minority shareholder (40%) of an established out patient practice for primary care.

Reaching out to everone on this board (with experience please) for what questions I should be addressing with the doc that will be co-owner with me.

What do I need to address?

on my list already

my hours per week

my pay

who is the managing partner? (the doc actually is not in this office as all and I would be buying the managing partners stock - and possilby the "managing" job)

my benefits package

these are pretty much the stuff you get for any job - BUT what else do I ask as an -co-owner

obviously I have to have an MD PIN to bill and no desire to hire a doc so this seems to be a great option - but how do I protect myself from the doc having majority share and the MD?

solutions to date

profit is paid out by % of stock owned

no expenditures over $2k can be made with out approval of both owners

I will be paid at the 90% on the AAPA data for internal medicine (110-120 salary)

No sale of either of our stock with out the other being offered right of first refusal

If I can be managing partner I will draw an additional salary for this

how do i protect myself from the doc just deciding to up and move or close the practice? Can I? do I just put a time frame on it?

Looking at buying into an established practice (two owners)- buying out a minority shareholder (40%) of an established out patient practice for primary care.

Reaching out to everone on this board (with experience please) for what questions I should be addressing with the doc that will be co-owner with me.

What do I need to address?

on my list already

my hours per week

my pay

who is the managing partner? (the doc actually is not in this office as all and I would be buying the managing partners stock - and possilby the "managing" job)

my benefits package

these are pretty much the stuff you get for any job - BUT what else do I ask as an -co-owner

obviously I have to have an MD PIN to bill and no desire to hire a doc so this seems to be a great option - but how do I protect myself from the doc having majority share and the MD?

solutions to date

profit is paid out by % of stock owned

no expenditures over $2k can be made with out approval of both owners

I will be paid at the 90% on the AAPA data for internal medicine (110-120 salary)

No sale of either of our stock with out the other being offered right of first refusal

If I can be managing partner I will draw an additional salary for this

how do i protect myself from the doc just deciding to up and move or close the practice? Can I? do I just put a time frame on it?

What is the corporate structure? Mixed-PLLC? Partnership? Can you make a requirement that if either party wants out that they must sell their share to an equal (MD or PA) member/partner and the sale must be agreed upon by both parties? This would be a tough clause that many partners may not want to agree to.

Archived