New Grad Offer- Cardiology

Hey guys, after a week of negotiating, HR has presented me with the following offer:

Salary: 85k (initial offer was 78k before negotiation)

Potential of 4k bonus each year (after talking with other PAs in the dept, I don't think this is very likely)

3 weeks PTO

CME: $2,000, plus additional 5 days of PTO

Student loan repayment: $7,500

Schedule: 4-10s, weekend call every 6 weeks.

Health insurance will be about $400/month for me and my hubby

This is at a clinic that I worked at before PA school, the staff and docs are amazing, and my hubby and I own a home here.  

Side Note: I have about 200k in student loans. I know, it is insane. I pretty much have panic attacks when I think about it! I went to private school for undergrad and PA school. That debt is ALL tuition as I worked through school at paid for my living expenses. Our plan is to live off of my hubby's income ~35k (he works for a non-profit) and live super super cheap (we dont have kids yet) for the next 4 years, and put almost 100% of my income towards our debt and knock it out as fast as possible. Most of the loans are between 6.5-8%. I know this amount of debt sounds insane....I really wish I went to cheaper schools! 

Not horrible or the end of the world. You can't fix the past. Live cheaply. Limit it to one cheap vacation a year. Have a plan and a budget and stick with it. If you are working 4 10's each week, maybe add a PRN job and try to work a few extra days a month when you have the energy. Don't exhaust yourself or you will burnout. In a few years you will be debt free and be able to live comfortably. Just tackle it hard now. You have 4 weeks PTO essentially and so use that time to recharge your batteries every couple months. Good luck!

As I presume the clinic hiring you won't qualify you for any debt forgiveness, look into debt consolidation at a lower combined interest rate, especially if your credit is reasonably good.  Every bit you can shave off the interest portion will help!

As said ^^^, live frugally, but include some frugal fun stuff.  

Knowing the practice is a big plus.

Any retirement program (with employer contributions)?

Is your licensing and malpractice covered 100%?

As was also mentioned, is there any non-compete that would restrict you from some PRN work on the side?

Ahhhhhhhhh, so I applied for a different Cardiology position a few months ago, before the position mentioned above and I just found out they are offering 95k with 15k loan repayment (it is a few hours away). I have not called and officially accepted the position above. Is there anyway to tactfully bring up negotiation again? It would be amazing if I could get closer 90..... I have 6 years of cardiology experience (non-PA) and have worked at this office for the past 3 years.  

When we "agreed" on the 85k I told them I was still waiting to hear back from other offers before I made my final decision, and I would be in touch soon. That is how we ended things, so I don't think it would be completely terrible to somehow bring up that other opportunities are offering substantially higher salaries. I just need to figure out a way to word it to be 100% professional and appropriate! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!  

So how this hospital works is, HR completes the entire negotiation and hiring process and the actual cardiology department is pretty much left out of it until we are done. For example, my manager didn't even know anything about the benefits package, he said they are mostly left in the dark as everything is done through HR. The upside to this is, if I am bold enough to confront HR about increasing the salary, I am not actually confronting my future manager. I know my manager very well as I have worked for him in the past and I am 100% confident they will not retract their offer. I just need to think of a way to articulately bring it up with HR. I really do feel I will be a good asset and take less time to train because of my background knowledge and skills. It would be amazing if I could get closer to 90k. I have sooo much debt and every little bit extra helps. 

$95k plus the $15k loan repayment is still more than $90k. Why only all for $90k? Worse HR will do is say no. Like buying a house, if you ask for $90 they may say $87.5. Even if you get $95k what about that other $15k loan repayment the other practice is offering? Double check what you are willing to leave in the table. HR will always try to get you for less than you're worth. Just saying.

Edited for spelling

Archived