Passed my PANCE!!!

Here is how I studied:

1. Took maybe 1-2  weeks after graduation to relax.

2. Started studying 1.5 months before the test. 

3. Used step up to medicine. It was a really good review book. It goes into enough details to refresh your knowledge on the basics but doesn't overwhelm you with info. It has a very nice ambulatory medicine chapter to brush up on your "heath maintenance" topics. Cardio and respiratory sections were excellent.  Sometimes I also used NCCPA book for topics that were not covered in step up. Another book that I sometimes used was "PANCE prep pearls" - I liked the book overall but it was difficult to read because it had a lot of abbreviations. I didn't even get through half of it and used it mostly to review pharmacology.  I also listened to a few lectures from Rutgers course. I did not like most of the lectures as I felt they were too broad. I made sure to listen to pediatric and psyc lectures as I was running out of time and wanted to review those quickly. Overall, I focused on the "big 4" - Cardio, respiratory, GI, MSK and zoomed through the rest. I scanned my cardio, respiratory, and endocrine and hematology notes day before the test (the zebras of endocrine & heme never want to stick in my head). I did very well on the big topics. 

5. I used Kaplan for practice questions. I didn't even finish them. Had 300 questions remaining the day before PANCE and decided to just forget about it. I started out getting 60-70s% with lowest score being 29% or something ridiculous. I then jumped to 80s the week of PANCE. Kaplan was very difficult BUT it was different from PANCE. Kaplan mostly asked direct recall questions. PANCE made you think. Having said that, I feel like Kaplan helped me a lot on the actual test.  I also used practice questions from the Rutgers course (too easy) Lange Q&A (too easy), NCCPA review book questions (too easy). I also used the NCCPA practice test (found it way easier than the boards). I scored in high green, with most subjects above average.

6. I walked out of the test convinced I failed. Didn't know what I just took. Felt I didn't know 90% of the test. Turns out I knew it, very well :). 

I have discussed with PA program faculty that they believe a large percentage of students can pass PANCE at the end of year one. Also there would be little statistical change if every student took exam day after graduation without further study.

But whom would buy all those prep materials and go to review conferences?

There is a difference between passing and knocking it out of the park.

I appreciate the whoohoo, I passed PANCE, this is what I did to study posts.

I think what would be more beneficial to readers if there was a correlation to scores ie I studied this way and this is what I scored.

I will break the ice. If you know me, I am not bragging below. I am truly interested in trying to establish some sort of identifiable pattern that may help others.

Last PANRE 9/9/11, score 633.

Performance interp guidelines: 620=89%, 640=93%.

Study strategy: None. I did not one minute of specific studying or other prep to take this exam. I do work full time in EM in a solo position with a tremendous amount of autonomy.

Next PANRE: 2016 or 2017, then go to 10 yr cycle. I will post my score.

Study strategy: Hippo PA, Certified medical educators 3 day course this summer, likely do AAPA Review in order to get 20 self assessment CME credits.

Why the change to my lackadaisical attitude towards preparation? There seems to be mounting anecdotal stories that the exam is changing and I am not one to be caught short.

G Brothers PA-C

Ok, will post as well. have taken pance once and panre 3 times all with scores 640-690

Pance Studied 3 hrs/day for 3 months. it was only offered once/yr then. Used Swansons and Appleton and lange. Attended USC 3 days board review course

Panre 1 studied total 3-4 hrs. mostly reviewed Primary care secrets

Panre 2 studied maybe 2 hrs. reviewed endocrinology and hematology in primary care secrets

Panre 3 Looked at hematology and endo for maybe 1 hr the night before.

EM CAQ Took cold. did very well.

Full time job EM X 19 years, prior er tech and paramedic for 10 yrs before becoming a pa.

Archived