Riverside Class graduating in 2013!

Just wondering- did anyone from the class of 2013 receive their HCE as a PT aide? I just applied for the class of 2014 and have 4000 + hours as a PT Aide both supervisor and subordinate. I have been in charge of taking vitals, progressing patients, applying various modalities etc. I just pray there is a chance for me at RCC. I know you guys are very busy now since school is in session so any short response would be greatly appreciated. Blessings to all you students!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to all that made class 2013! I have a question and was hoping someone could shed some light on the matter. Does anyone know how rcc verifies place of residence? I moved to my friends place in riverside co. in august before the application deadline. My commute to work is a little further now but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the end. This is my second time applying this year.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations to all that made class 2013! I have a question and was hoping someone could shed some light on the matter. Does anyone know how rcc verifies place of residence? I moved to my friends place in riverside co. in august before the application deadline. My commute to work is a little further now but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the end. This is my second time applying this year.

Thanks in advance!

All I remember was hearing them say that you better have proof of your residence.... for example, a utility bill or rent receipt or something. Otherwise, they don't know you lived there; you might have just borrowed your friend's address.

Thanks in advance!

background check

Hi Bette,

A very good friend of mine is a Physical Therapy Asst. and where she works theyhave 2 aides. If you don't mind me asking, how did you progress patients? Whatkinds of modalities did you apply on patients?

According the physical therapy board of California - Aides are not clinicians,do not have the clinical background to "progress patients" and canonly apply cold/hot packs for modalities, maybe athletic taping with propertraining, they can remove electrodes, help patient off traction machine, etc.(depending on the setting they may be able to do a little more but not muchmore- California is very tight on PT, PTA, and Rehab aide roles.) Oh and theycan help a PT or PTA with non-clinical tasks that will facilitate a treatment.BUT I believe aides also require "continuous and immediate"supervision by a physical therapist. This means that they must be within atleast ear-shot. Aides are not allowed to do anything independently.

Did you mean you are a licensed PT Assistant? If not, and you are an Aide thenbe careful how you describe your role even though you may have done thosethings and are perhaps very good at it, they may not necessarily be within thescope a pt/rehab aide and it could actually make you look not so great onpaper. Look up the California Board of Physical Therapy or the apta for moreinformation.

I hope you take this as an FYI and not that I am your questioning your abilitiesbecause that is not my intention. Just that if you are doing something outsideof what you're allowed (especially within healthcare) it can backfire.

Good luck :)

Hi Pam,

I am an applicant for the graduating class of 2014. I am trying diligently to get everything put together with as much time to spare as possible. I am an instructor in Medical Assisting and Respiratory Therapy (after working in the fields for a combined 6 years). Because of this, I have access to free texts from publishers. All I need is the title of the book and the ISBN numbers. Would you be able to compile a comprehensive (as possible) list of the required texts or point me in the direction where I can find it? I looked on your blog; I could not ascertain which were required and which were pleasure reading. (I cannot be the only person who enjoys readings medical texts for fun, can I?)

Thank you for your blog. I have begun reading it after I found this forum. I was so nervous for all of the 2011 applicants, I almost could not stand it by the time you got your acceptance letters. I am anxious to see if I receive a rejection letter in October. (Are they still doing that?)

I will continue to check on your adventure through school. I, personally, CAN NOT WAIT!!!! :)

-terri

As far as books, they will want the newest version possible, so having one now probably won't do you any good. Furthermore, they often change the texts each year. I know a few of our books are different from last year's. You will need a full Harrison's guide, a Bates guide for sure, but if there is a new version coming out prior to the first day of class, you will need that one.

Good luck!

As far as books, they will want the newest version possible, so having one now probably won't do you any good. Furthermore, they often change the texts each year. I know a few of our books are different from last year's. You will need a full Harrison's guide, a Bates guide for sure, but if there is a new version coming out prior to the first day of class, you will need that one.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

...Actually, you will be fine with an edition that is one or two years old. Harrison's is Harrison's, and the program is not going to change things up that often. It is helpful for Bate's to having the most current one for the quizzes, but many people do fine with older versions. They give you a packet of EXACTLY how they want the physical so that is the thing to memorize. During workshops they will mentor you on exam techniques anyways.

I am a graduate from their program. So I know first hand :)

As far as I know, all you get in the fall is a notice that they received your application. Acceptance letters don't come until spring. I would assume rejection notices go out at various times between the fall and spring.... earlier if you have application errors that automatically reject you, later if you are simply not chosen.

tslewis, I never knew they gave out rejection letters in oct. Where did you get this information from?

Hi Ozzie, I read it somewhere here on the posts...I have been on here so much and in so many places, I have forgotten the exact place. Unfortunately, as I understand it, it states as October, but the majority of people don't hear anything until later. Apparently, there are many personnel changes being made which makes the process become a little more sluggish. I teach at a college, so I understand the process and I am trying to be as patient and level-headed as possible...but..it..is...difficult. :) I did not think this would be such an emotional process. :)

• 4 months later...
Hi Ozzie, I read it somewhere here on the posts...I have been on here so much and in so many places, I have forgotten the exact place. Unfortunately, as I understand it, it states as October, but the majority of people don't hear anything until later. Apparently, there are many personnel changes being made which makes the process become a little more sluggish. I teach at a college, so I understand the process and I am trying to be as patient and level-headed as possible...but..it..is...difficult. :) I did not think this would be such an emotional process. :)

Good luck! And I know very well how much of an emotional process it is. I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run ;) I heard the director middleton is retiring. Yep, the best thing you can do is be patient and keep your options open. Good luck and I hope to see you in class! :)

Archived