General Surgery (new grad) PA offer

​It's not official as of today, but I was lead to believe I would be called later this week to confirm my job offer at a general surgery practice.

It is a busy, rural practice split between two hospitals and the physician as of now works up to 100 hours/week.

I interviewed yesterday and was briefly spoken to regarding the contract. To my understanding, albeit brief and with a lot of information, it would be an income/profit-based salary. He mentioned the minimum salary would be $60,000, plus 25% of my earnings through procedures performed. That number is concerning for me, because it is up to him how many procedures I take on. The average for the area is $85,000 for  a general surgery PA (I  looked it up through AAPA and websites). I would get a 3-month training period so I'm not sure those procedure profits would go towards my salary. I have a lot of expenses (obviously loans, rent [i would need to relocate], car, etc.)

The benefits are good: PTO, a week CME and $1000, he pays for insurance, matches 401k by 3% (I have no idea what that means, I'm so new to everything), and 10 days of call per month. I am interested in this position because it seems like a great learning opportunity and I would get to do a lot which is my ideal job situation for a new grad, but my only hang up is the salary. Do you have any experience/advice? Thank you immensely in advance.

​It's not official as of today, but I was lead to believe I would be called later this week to confirm my job offer at a general surgery practice.

It is a busy, rural practice split between two hospitals and the physician as of now works up to 100 hours/week.

I interviewed yesterday and was briefly spoken to regarding the contract. To my understanding, albeit brief and with a lot of information, it would be an income/profit-based salary. He mentioned the minimum salary would be $60,000, plus 25% of my earnings through procedures performed. That number is concerning for me, because it is up to him how many procedures I take on. The average for the area is $85,000 for  a general surgery PA (I  looked it up through AAPA and websites). I would get a 3-month training period so I'm not sure those procedure profits would go towards my salary. I have a lot of expenses (obviously loans, rent [i would need to relocate], car, etc.)

The benefits are good: PTO, a week CME and $1000, he pays for insurance, matches 401k by 3% (I have no idea what that means, I'm so new to everything), and 10 days of call per month. I am interested in this position because it seems like a great learning opportunity and I would get to do a lot which is my ideal job situation for a new grad, but my only hang up is the salary. Do you have any experience/advice? Thank you immensely in advance.

Where is the job? $85,000 seems a bit low. CME is a little below average. 10 days a month may not seem like a lot, but that ends up being 1/3 of the year you are on call....seems like a lot to me. 

The fact that he works 100 hours right now is a little alarming. Is he hiring a PA so that you can work the 100 hours too? I wouldn't be interested in doing that....it also drives the value of your salary down if you are working so many hours.

The 25% procedure credit could be great, or it could be terrible. You need to ask about this when you meet with the SP.

good luck and ask lots of questions.

I work in general surgery covering two rural hospitals with my SP. As a new grad I am at 85K. I definitely would NOT take anything without a guarantee of at least 75K. Bonus structures scare me...a lot of unknowns. It's nice to have a cushion/guarantee when you know you have bills coming. A bonus should be just that - a "bonus."

How much PTO?

60K is LOW. Do you have loans? Those will bring your take home salary way down. Also, do not take anything "verbal" seriously. Keep looking. I was completely screwed over TWICE by taking those seriously. Once by a hospital department when they took their "verbal offer" back, and another time by a physician who offered me a job, promised me so many great things, and said he would call me the next day with an official offer (it has been 3 weeks, but I have another job now). Do not sell yourself short! You are a PA and we are in demand! 

Where is the job? $85,000 seems a bit low. CME is a little below average. 10 days a month may not seem like a lot, but that ends up being 1/3 of the year you are on call....seems like a lot to me. 

The fact that he works 100 hours right now is a little alarming. Is he hiring a PA so that you can work the 100 hours too? I wouldn't be interested in doing that....it also drives the value of your salary down if you are working so many hours.

The 25% procedure credit could be great, or it could be terrible. You need to ask about this when you meet with the SP.

good luck and ask lots of questions.

The job is in a rural area of Tennessee. He is hiring the PA to greatly reduce the hours worked and to spend time with his family. It is a surgery practice with him and 2 other doctors and they have privileges in two separate hospitals to do surgery. He cannot take on a greater work load or he will have to start declining. This is his first time hiring a PA, and has admitted to me this entire process is new to him and he is taking advice from other surgeons who have PAs. 

you need a salary guarantee( 60k + bonus or 90k, whichever is more). benefits actually are not that good.

Do you think I should present the AAPA salary statistics?

I work in general surgery covering two rural hospitals with my SP. As a new grad I am at 85K. I definitely would NOT take anything without a guarantee of at least 75K. Bonus structures scare me...a lot of unknowns. It's nice to have a cushion/guarantee when you know you have bills coming. A bonus should be just that - a "bonus."

How much PTO?

Not sure of the actual PTO. He briefly said (he was running in between cases and informally interviewing me - he will call me later this week with something more formal) something regarding 2 weeks for Christmas, he takes a week off per quarter, I would get some time for sick days, etc. Did not get a formal answer. I am definitely making note of that to ask, thank you.

60K is LOW. Do you have loans? Those will bring your take home salary way down. Also, do not take anything "verbal" seriously. Keep looking. I was completely screwed over TWICE by taking those seriously. Once by a hospital department when they took their "verbal offer" back, and another time by a physician who offered me a job, promised me so many great things, and said he would call me the next day with an official offer (it has been 3 weeks, but I have another job now). Do not sell yourself short! You are a PA and we are in demand! 

I have a horrifying amount of loans, I need a car, etc. I will ask for a formal contract when the time comes, I am expecting a call this week. Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. It's difficult because I am looking in middle and east Tennessee for employment and the opportunities as of now are SLIM.

THANK YOU ALL.

The job is in a rural area of Tennessee. He is hiring the PA to greatly reduce the hours worked and to spend time with his family. It is a surgery practice with him and 2 other doctors and they have privileges in two separate hospitals to do surgery. He cannot take on a greater work load or he will have to start declining. This is his first time hiring a PA, and has admitted to me this entire process is new to him and he is taking advice from other surgeons who have PAs. 

Not sure of the actual PTO. He briefly said (he was running in between cases and informally interviewing me - he will call me later this week with something more formal) something regarding 2 weeks for Christmas, he takes a week off per quarter, I would get some time for sick days, etc. Did not get a formal answer. I am definitely making note of that to ask, thank you.

I have a horrifying amount of loans, I need a car, etc. I will ask for a formal contract when the time comes, I am expecting a call this week. Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. It's difficult because I am looking in middle and east Tennessee for employment and the opportunities as of now are SLIM.

THANK YOU ALL.

This says it all.

THANK YOU ALL.

You should definitely present the average salary to this guy. 

Archived