What does getting an interview mean?

Hello everyone-

What does getting an interview mean?  Its factual that many  applicants are not selected for an interview based on many things such as academics, not sufficient HCE, ECs, etc; but what does it really mean once a program has offered an interview to an applicant?  Are academics, HCE and ECs still vital this far into the process when interviewing someone?  Or what is the admissions committee looking for at this point?  Why is it that some of these people interviewing get in, while others dont?  

I guess I am just trying to find a general perspective on this situation.

Thanks everyone!

It really depends on the school. Some programs invite applicants to interview based on the things you listed above and then decide that at the interview it is a level playing field for all interviewees. Therefore your acceptance/waitlist/rejection is solely based on your performance on interview day whereas other programs take your applicant package + interview performance into account when determining acceptance.

But how I look at it is.... an interview means the school thinks you would be a successful applicant at their program and now they just have to narrow it down even further.

Most succinctly, it means that on paper the program thinks you'll succeed at their PA school.

The interview is really to see if you're a good fit for them and vice-versa. It's an opportunity to examine how an applicant conducts themselves in-person; when not shielded by typed essays, CVs, and LoRs.

Getting an interview means that you are now going to be subjected to the real fickleness of a program.

Programs have to use some sort of matrix to decide whom to take a look at. This includes obviously grades and HCE. Every program has other factors they consider also, from catchment area requirements to quality of HCE to specific academic prereqs. 

Then the interview. You would think that this is an opportunity for you and the program to get a good feel for you. Personally I think the balance is skewed towards the program. There may be a high desire on the part of a student to attend a certain program. But highly unlikely that the program is feeling that way towards any student. To add to the ambiguity, the interview formats vary greatly from program to program, unsure what the intent is at times other than to torture applicants one last time. 

I have seen students that have come for interviews whom have really floundered with the format the program I am involved with. I have had some applicants get really unhinged by the process, very emotional and very scattered. Others whom seemed to care less. On the flip side, what has really torqued one interviewer about an applicant was not a priority for another interviewer.

So an applicant moves from a rather objective process to at times much more subjective. The infamous good fit.

I think if an applicant gets multiple interviews and multiple acceptances, they have succeeded in navigating a varied landscape in order to achieve this.

For those whom obtain the interviews but not the acceptances, there is something missing. What the specifics are will need some introspection and reflection. 

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Archived