Combined BS/MS...Good or Bad

Hello Everyone

I am new in this forum. I am 22years old and a VFX diploma graduate, but my heart always wanted to go for health profession. So finally I've decided to choose the PA pathway in life. I do not currently have a UG degree. As I am 22 yrs now, it would take me longer to complete BS in order to get eligibility for PA programs.

So I am thinking more about applying to the combined BS/MS PA programs which would help me get started in PA career in 5 or 6 years. So I am wondering wether anyone in this forum has done the combined program? And hoping that all of you guys can help me pick the right school and your thoughts on my decision.

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion would be to apply to combined BS/MS programs now.. and if you have no luck with those then I would suggest starting school in either BS or BA in biology or a science related field (honestly it won't matter as long as you're taking the required prereqs). From that point, I would continue to apply each year to BS/MS programs. If after obtaining a 4 year degree and 4/5 years of applying to various programs and still no acceptance I would do one of two things: 1. Reevaluate your options, you can still do a lot with a BS/BA, including continued education programs... or 2. Apply to just master's MS PA programs. However, as long as you obtain good grades in the prereqs and gain a lot of health care experience you should have no problem matriculating into a BS/MS program, but this is just my opinion!

Good luck with applications!

mlmpa

Oh just so that you know that I'm speaking from experience, it's similar to what I did. I applied to a BS/MS PA program without an UG degree and wasn't invited to an interview. I then began college studying with a BA in biology... 2 years into the BA I applied again to the same BS/MS program, was invited to interview, and was accepted. I feel as though the only downside to be accepted into a BS/MS with some of the BS portion of the work completed is that you are some what slowed down because depending on seat availability you may have to wait for your class year to continue on. So, in my case for example I completed 2 years prior to starting the PA BS/MS (4.5 yrs) and so I'm technically suppose to graduate in December 2019 (a total of 6.5 years in college). There is room for advancement if someone in a higher class were to leave, you could theoretically ask to take their seat but it's not guaranteed.

Hope this helps!

mlmpa

That was my suggestion. To apply to BS/MS, prior to obtaining a degree or in the first couple of years while studying in a BS. Never did I say graduate with a BS and then try to get into a BS/MS, In fact I said if you graduate with the degree I would 1. reevaluate my options if there was no success while applying or 2. Apply to MS programs.

Unless you're referring to my situation, where I was completing a BS and my 2nd year I transferred to a BS/MS program? In that case it's very specific to me why I chose to do that, and there were advantages that were personal to me.

• 3 weeks later...

The BS/MS program might be a good option for you. It will save you time and money, and being a little older that the average student in the dual degree track will give you a perspective that could be an advantage for you. Students who come through our dual degree track and do well typically do very well in the professional end of the program. (Students who just barely make cutoffs, not so much.)

Archived