Preparing for negotiation

My 90 day trial period is nearly up, and I'm sitting down with my SP in a few weeks to negotiate salary. Brief background: I’m a new graduate. I work in neurosurgery, and so far, I love it. I’m in the OR and in clinic. I take weekend call once a month.

They cover malpractice and offer health insurance and 401K. No CME and only two weeks off. So those are going back on the table for me.

My biggest question is how should I phrase my salary request? Hourly or salary – most PAs in the practice are salary, I think. Also, base pay alone or base plus bonus. The bonus sounds like a better deal in the AAPA report. How do I phrase the bonus structure?

Also, what have some of you worked out for re-evaluation and pay increases annually?

Any feedback from seasoned PAs would be greatly appreciated.

you are out of your mind to ask for a salary increase at a 90 day review as a new grad (or anyone for that matter)

MIGHT ask politely for more CME time or money as you "love the field and are excited to learn more about it"  but really you are only a few months into a brand new job, in a brand new profession and honestly you have likely cost them a lot of money and lost productivity right now.....  I would go in thanking them and looking for feedback on how you can do you job better.

Honestly the 90 day review is to see if they want to fire you.... it is not a time to bring up pay and bennies.....

Archived