Two Arrests But No Convictions. Still Totally Hopeless?

Hi All,

I've done a significant amount of research into this -- short of actually talking to a recruiter -- but I was curious of opinions here and want to make sure I understand everything correctly. Long-story short, I was arrested twice in college. One in 2007 (a disorderly conduct -- wrong place, wrong time -- which resulted in a conditional release so there's nothing on my record) and one in 2010 (DWI reduced to DWAI which I do take full accountability for). Neither resulted in convictions. My criminal history/record is clean, at least clerically-speaking. Since the 2010 arrest, I haven't been even pulled over once, even for a headlight out.

As I understand it however, the military treats arrests and convictions the same whether you were convicted or not. The only exception is if the charges were totally thrown out. Arrests and/or convictions require the waiver. I imagine the waiver is hard enough to get with a single arrest, let alone two. I figure my chances must be 1-2% that ANY branch would want me at this point. Should I drop this dream? No sense in not trying anyway, but is there anything I can do to bolster my package? Does it matter if my dad served in the health corps? Would branch matter? From what I've read about each branch's standards, I know AF would be a no-go, Navy would be extremely difficult, and Army would be the best bet (relatively-speaking of course)? Does time-since-arrest have any significance? I'm probably still two years out from contacting a recruiter but I knew my history was going to be a problem and I've been researching it neurotically. Would experience as a PA help prior to trying to join? Would trying to join debt-free help? It kills me that there are people who consider joining for 3 years just to get their loans paid off while I'm over here truly wanting a full career out of it. Are loans unattractive?

I want nothing more than a PA career in the military but I never considered the PA profession or military life until after the arrests. I lacked serious direction and purpose (and a developed prefrontal cortex, probably...) at that time in my life which resulted in my careless and erratic behavior. I've turned my life around 180* but I still have these skeletons to deal with.

I'm not holding out much hope on a military career based on what I've researched so far but curious what those with experience might know.

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to comment.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

First, have you gotten accepted to PA school?

Are you planning on trying to get the military to pay for school?

Or just planning on joining after successful completion of PA school?

Can you get both instances expunged? Contact a lawyer, explain your situation and pay them for their expertise if they can make things better for you.

Even so, always best to be honest with these things. People make mistakes. Some get caught, like you. Some dont, like me.

Both of what you describe are explainable and can be managed. If you have to get a waiver then that will be the case. You didnt murder anyone, you just did something stupid. It happens. Avoiding the pattern of stupidity is much more important.

The reality with military service is that your recruitment will be based upon need. If they need PAs in whichever branch, logistics and obstacles will be navigated.

If the need is minimal, then your effort will be increased but not insurmountable.

As for a parent serving, especially in the health corps, yes that does matter. If that parent is retired or still has contacts, use that to your advantage. Everything can and could help.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

You may have been able to get by with the disorderly conduct charge, but I highly doubt that you'll get in with the DWI. The military is really cracking down on this kind of thing (to the extent that I actually have a counter with the last DWI incident right outside my base). 

Especially now, with the military force shaping, it'll be tough to get in. 

I agree with you that Air Force is likely out. Since I'm not in the other branches and have very little interaction with them, I'm not sure if they are as strict. You could try Army.

Best of luck!

I'm assuming you haven't been accepted to a PA program yet, in which case you are way ahead of yourself, as others have said. A DWAI may preclude from even getting into PA school, but don't quote me on that. If your criminal record is clean, I think you'll be fine.

As far as the military, that's a tough question to answer. If you TELL them you've been arrested and/or gotten a DWAI, you are sunk. You'll be kicked out of the recruiting office. But again, if your criminal record is clean...

Another thing to consider is that some branches require security clearances for officers (i know the CG does...top secret clearance in fact). If this is the case, the DoD will call people you never thought they would call. So if you told a white lie when you joined, and they later found out....you could be dishonorably or generally discharged.

I was arrested for DWI 3 years ago and was just accepted to 2 different PA programs and have more interviews to go. Schools don't care that much about your criminal history if they feel confident that it was only a mistake and not a lack of character. If you weren't convicted then you have nothing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have been able to get by with the disorderly conduct charge, but I highly doubt that you'll get in with the DWI. The military is really cracking down on this kind of thing (to the extent that I actually have a counter with the last DWI incident right outside my base). 

Especially now, with the military force shaping, it'll be tough to get in. 

I agree with you that Air Force is likely out. Since I'm not in the other branches and have very little interaction with them, I'm not sure if they are as strict. You could try Army.

Best of luck!

Overall, the drawdown has been a steady one since we have pulled the major commands out of the mideast.  However, for example, the Marine Corps has been simultaneously building up their presence in the Asian pacific on Navy amphibs...this means more grunts, air wing, tracks, etc.  The need is not as great as the peak of OIF, but still not insignificant.

I'd also add that discretion against DWIs is per service; when I left the my post around a decade ago, policy was just don't get caught.  There was actually a small abandoned lot outside of one of the base entrances which was primarily used for two things: parking cars which were not registered on base and sobering up before approaching the guard shack.

While in South Korea, a junior officer, just a butterbar a few months prior, had 10 too many one evening...he was already on base but thought he was not, and when he couldn't find the entrance he made it over a concertina-wired fence and was busted when some dogs ran him down.  A buddy in the cp followed it closely and found out that basically nothing happened to him except for extra duty for the rest of the deployment.

Archived