Course Redundancy Dilemma

Hello All,

I am a recent graduate of a 4-year institution that offered anatomy and physiology as three separate courses - Anatomy, Human Physiology I, and Human Physiology II. Before graduating I enrolled (and obtained A's) in Anatomy (& lab), and Human Physiology I (& lab) as my last classes so I could have a fresh memory of the material. I figured that I could return as a non-degree seeking student and finish the Human Physiology II class, however, I have recently moved to another state where all the institutions around me only offer the traditional Anatomy and Physiology I & Anatomy and Physiology II combined courses. 

Given that I don't have much of an option I don't mind having to retake the classes despite the redundancy, however, I am concerned for admission purposes that this will draw a red-flag... Can anyone share a similar experience, or provide input into this dilemma?

Note: If I retake the classes they will be at a CC, of which from the research I have done on this forum has no lesser value

Thank you in advance for the replies!

There will be no red flag… just get As and keep on trucking!

You are not the first or the last to run into this issue. There isn't a lot of consistency from school to school on these classes so many people (including myself) end up doubling up somewhere. In total, you should have two semesters of A&P or 1 semester of anatomy and one of physiology (if I remember correctly). Check with the schools you are applying at to make sure. You may have enough credits as it is as long as they are courses for science majors, not for healthcare/nursing majors.

And yes, you are right- no one cares if a freshman or sophomore level course is taken at a CC. 

There will be no red flag… just get As and keep on trucking!

You are not the first or the last to run into this issue. There isn't a lot of consistency from school to school on these classes so many people (including myself) end up doubling up somewhere. In total, you should have two semesters of A&P or 1 semester of anatomy and one of physiology (if I remember correctly). Check with the schools you are applying at to make sure. You may have enough credits as it is as long as they are courses for science majors, not for healthcare/nursing majors.

And yes, you are right- no one cares if a freshman or sophomore level course is taken at a CC. 

Thanks for the reply. If I may ask what course(s) did you have to take again because of this issue and did it ever come up in interviews?

My concern is that adcoms may look at this as "padding" my GPA

I took vertebrate physiology. It was a 3000 level 1 semester course and would have satisfied phys requirements except that I did not have an anatomy course to go with it. When I decided to pursue a medical career I took A&P (2 semesters) at a community college.

I'm pretty sure it never came up. If it did, it was in the discussion context of- oh you took vert phys? What was that like vs human phys?

Doubling up on these courses happens a lot when people take these courses at two different schools. Padding your GPA would be taking a bunch of freshman level courses that are completely unnecessary/unuseful towards your goal and are obviously only taken for easy A's. 

SInce you already have a semester of anatomy and a semester of physiology, this may be a mute point for you. Check with the schools you want to go to.

Sorry for the late reply, this thread got lost in the mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Call your prospective schools and ask if what you have is sufficient for their course pre reqs.  I have a smattering of A/P, anatomy, and phys classes, some of which are only parts of a series, and I found plenty of schools for which this is adequate.  I found this out by looking up schools individually on the PAEA directory and individually emailing each resepctive admissions department.  Only 1 school said no.

Archived