Five Year Accelerated PA programs

Hello everyone,

Four years ago I was accepted to an Accelerated Physician Assistant Program. The program consisted of 3 years of undergraduate school followed by the 2 year Master's portion of the program. Students in the program had to take specific courses each semester and maintain a certain cumulative and science GPA (2.8 first year, 3.0 second year, 3.2 third year). Students were also required to obtain 500 hours of clinical experience (volunteer or paid, 300 hours had to be direct patient care experience such as EMT, CNA, pharmacy tech, scribe, Direct support professional, or any position where First Aid, CPR/AED administration was required). I made it through the first year with a  3.1 for science and overall. The second year, I was required to take Organic chem, genetics, intro to psychology, medical ethics, and history, which was 17 credits. I am aware that this is not an excuse, but I was a member of my college's swimming team and I spent too much time training and not enough time studying. As a result, I got a D in genetics and organic chemistry, resulting in my cumulative gpa dropping to 2.85, and my science gpa being 2.65. I was then kicked out the of the program. My only option to remain at the school was to become a biology or neuroscience major. I chose neuroscience.

For my remaining 2 and a half years at college, I worked my butt off, made Dean's List every semester and managed to graduate with a 3.3 cumulative gpa and 3.0 science gpa. I also conducted research for my neuroscience course. The Physician Assistant program accepts students into the Graduate phase of the program, including the college's alumni. My problem is that students must have a 3.2 cumulative and science gpa to become accepted into the program. With my science gpa being only 3.0, I do not meet the academic requirement to apply. I have been working as a Direct Support Professional and meet the requirements for the clinical experience. I have also shadowed PA's, volunteered in the Emergency Department at my local hospital, volunteered in a nursing home, and coached a Special Olympics Swimming team for 3 years. I know enough about the profession now and want to give PA school a second try.

As I mentioned, the college looks at applicants that are alumni before outside applicants for admission into the graduate phase of the program. But I do not meet the GPA requirement. If I contacted the program director, do you all think it is possible for the director to overlook my former bad grades and grant me provisional acceptance into the program? I really want to become a PA and I feel that my undergraduate college's program is my best chance at becoming a PA.

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to all your comments!

Doesn't hurt to ask for a personal meeting to discuss your chances. These direct programs have pretty harsh rules but then sometimes rules are made to be bent. Be prepared for a big fat NO though...you may need to apply elsewhere if you are really motivated to become a PA.

Btw all those classes they require you to take at the same time are called "weed out" classes for a reason....

Archived