Chances at PA School

Hey guys! I see that some of you were accepted to a PA program. 

I am just trying to get a feel for the application process and what these schools are looking for. I'm going to begin applying at the end of the summer and I am VERY anxious and nervous. 

Would you mind sharing with me how you went about applying to this program? Also, if you don't mind, can you share your GPA and your health care experience? 

Thanks for your time. I look forward to hearing from you! :)

And, CONGRATS! 

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to gauge how competitive I am for PA schools. I'm debating on certain schools I should apply to as well (GVSU, U of CO, Cornell, Rosalind Franklin are a few).

Male, MI resident, 24y/o, first time applicant, BS in Bio

Overall GPA: 3.79

Science GPA: I know it's higher, but not exactly sure the #

GRE: 155 QR, 151 VR, 4.5 Writing

I have around 1000 HCE and I'm currently working full-time in an Intensive Care Unit.

I have over 200 hours of physician shadowing, and I work alongside PAs on a daily basis.

I have about 200 hours of volunteering

I have great letters of rec.

I have been president of the pre-health committee; officer of biology club, in student senate, student athlete (helped start the first ever varsity hockey program in school history, and was the captain my senior year), I performed research in a cardiac unit (~150 hrs); multiple academic scholarships (one being strictly for health professions)

I'm a first time applicant (24 yrs old) and have my B.S. in Bio. I was originally pre-med, but took a job out in CO thinking I would want to work full-time in something else. That didn't work out because I felt that the medical field is where I belong. Long story short, I came back to MI due to some family illnesses and am working as a CNA and loving it. Not the typical student.

I am in the midst of my CASPA app and could some use some advice as to where I should apply if I'm competitve! It's sooo expensive and I'm saving my pennies for my apps!

Thanks Everyone!

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to gauge how competitive I am for PA schools. I'm debating on certain schools I should apply to as well (GVSU, U of CO, Cornell, Rosalind Franklin are a few).

Male, MI resident, 24y/o, first time applicant, BS in Bio

Overall GPA: 3.79

Science GPA: I know it's higher, but not exactly sure the #

GRE: 155 QR, 151 VR, 4.5 Writing

I have around 1000 HCE and I'm currently working full-time in an Intensive Care Unit.

I have over 200 hours of physician shadowing, and I work alongside PAs on a daily basis.

I have about 200 hours of volunteering

I have great letters of rec.

I have been president of the pre-health committee; officer of biology club, in student senate, student athlete (helped start the first ever varsity hockey program in school history, and was the captain my senior year), I performed research in a cardiac unit (~150 hrs); multiple academic scholarships (one being strictly for health professions)

I'm a first time applicant (24 yrs old) and have my B.S. in Bio. I was originally pre-med, but took a job out in CO thinking I would want to work full-time in something else. That didn't work out because I felt that the medical field is where I belong. Long story short, I came back to MI due to some family illnesses and am working as a CNA and loving it. Not the typical student.

I am in the midst of my CASPA app and could some use some advice as to where I should apply if I'm competitve! It's sooo expensive and I'm saving my pennies for my apps!

Thanks Everyone!

I think you are very competitive for any PA school. Just a little bit of advise on personal statement. Many people think their spec. is one of most important thing that get an interview. In my opinion, I think personal statement plays huge part in interview selection progress. Make yourself a unique candidate. You want be stand out and convince why they have to pick you for interview. Overall I think you are very competitive as long as you have a strong statement. Good luck!!

Thanks hwangbo1982. I have posted my personal statement on here and received some pretty good feedback. I plan on applying to quite a few places so I don't put all my eggs in one basket per se. I'm really hoping for some success this cycle. I'm excited to get into school and get to work.

• 7 months later...

Shadowing is essentially a must for any PA school, even the ones that don't expressly require it for admission. Working side by side with PA's doesn't count as, or replace, shadowing, as many (if not most) applicants have worked with PA's, but while you're working, you are busy, the PA is busy, and shadowing allows you to dedicate your time and energy to observing the PA while you are not preoccupied with anything else. It also shows that you are dedicated to understanding the field, which helps immensely. I'd say a competitive application (for any school) would include at least 40 hours of shadowing, possibly more.

As far as Wayne State not accepting your prerequisites from University of Kansas, I don't think they can ethically just refuse to accept credits from a particular school just because they are not familiar with it. As long as your prerequisites come from an accredited, four year university, they should be able to accept the prerequisites. If U of Kansas is unaccredited (or they mistakenly thought it was) that could cause a problem.

The only reason they would be able to deny your prerequisite credits is 1) if they are more than six years old (they have a six year minimum requirement for prereqs), 2) if they are actually not the right prereqs - for example, if they require 2 semesters of human A&P with lab, but you took Intro to A&P without lab, etc., 3) you got less than a "B" in any of your prerequisites (they have a "B" minimum), or 4) they were actually taken at a community college, and Wayne State doesn't accept CC credits.

If none of those reasons apply to you, I'd contact them again, see if you can speak with someone else, and make sure they know that University of Kansas is an accredited 4 year school, the prerequisites match exactly what they require, and were taken within the last 6 years, and see what they say.

I honestly didn't know what shadowing meant vis a vis working with a PA. I just assumed that working with 4 PA's on deployment would more than cover it. I'll never know if it hurt me but I know not every program cared.

Disagree with above. If you want to give a program an excuse not to accept you, then by all means, don't take the time to shadow. Even if you don't know exactly what the PA is doing in every aspect, it gives you an excellent chance to pick his/her brain. Be proactive and ask questions about why they took certain steps, do they enjoy working in this particular specialty, how is their relationship with their SP? You don't have to shadow 60 plus hrs, but it shows ADCOMS that you took the time to learn first hand more about the profession that you are hopefully passionate about joining. Do you really want to hear an interviewer say, "your app looks great, but i'm curious about why you haven't shadowed a PA?" Secondarily, when you get that inevitable question regarding why you want to be a PA and/or do you know what a PA does on a daily basis, you can answer confidently with actual shadowing experiences and aspects that excited you when you were observing.

It never came up in 10 interviews. Regarding the 2nd question I just talked about my time working with PA's. Why would you talk about the shadowing when you could talk about taking histories, writing scripts, assisting procedures etc.?

Archived