Any advice would be good!!

Hey Guys, 

So I am getting discouraged with this whole pa school application process. I have applied this cycle but I haven't heard anything and still waiting on four more schools, but it is not looking good. I am getting a masters in anatomy and most of my friends have gotten into med school so wondering whats the problem.  I was wondering if anyone has any advice? 

Stats:

Graduated from The Pennsylvania State University with an overall 3.0 GPA and 2.9 in science GPA
Currently getting a Masters in anatomy with a 3.3 GPA
Volunteered abroad in a medical brigade in Panama (close to 100 hours)
Emergency department volunteer ( close to 70 hours)
IS internship at hospital teaching medical professionals software (close to 150 hours)
Shadowed PAs for 25 hours
Resident Care Associate (nursing assistant)(900 hrs)
Graduate Teaching Assistant (teaching anatomy to nursing and premed students)
Worked in lab doing Stroke research 
Tutored students in Behavioral Neuroscience and Histology
Teaching Assistant in Human Dissection course for undergrads 
Community Outreach Volunteer educating and promoting sciences for high school students

Also I am wondering if being a male helps with getting into pa school since its not that much of us applying. And to be honest is race has anything to do with it, I haven't seen too many African american males in the profession that much so is that also an advantage or do programs not really focus on that? 
I would love any advice on what I can do to better my chances. Thank you so much for your time!

It is difficult to debug this issue remotely and all I know about you is what you wrote. 

-  Most of your friends are going to med school. Why do you want to be a PA?

- Your sub-3.0 science GPA as an undergraduate is below many thresholds. The masters will help, depending on how far along you are.

- You have some medical experience and limited time with PAs. The non-clinical time (software, etc) may not count. Different schools have different requirements

- References and how well they really knew you?

- Met all of the prerequisites (every program is at least a little different from every other)?

- GRE scores?

- Filed all of the supplemental applications that programs often want?

- Good essay? Can be a very big deal.

- PA programs generally like diversity so being an an African-American male is definitely not an obstacle.

You might want to go visit a nearby PA program and find out what you could be doing better. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Your GPA is a problem for you, no getting around that.  Your HCEs are good - you should comb through the PAEA school list, start email admin departments, and find which schools fit you best.  People here can only help point you in a certain direction; talk to adcoms and find out who will take you and who will not.  Find a way to ask them "can I get in?" without directly asking it.  Then apply to those schools and hope for the best!

Archived