Medical Terminology Class Credits?

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on taking a medical terminology class online as a pre-req for many of the PA schools. I'm assuming each school has a different requirement for number of credits for the class, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks it matters. 

Thus, does it matter if I take med term class for 1 credit, 2 credits, or 3 credits, as a requirement for some applications? Also, does anybody have recommendations for 4 year university med term classes that can be taken online and are also easy to apply to as a guest?

Thank you!

I took a 3 credit, online medical terminology course through the University of Florida. It was very easy to apply as guest and everyone pays the tuition of an instate student since it is an online course. I found the material manageable and the test formats fair and straightforward. I took it this past spring semester, started the course in the middle of the semester (mid March) and finished by early April. Anyways it worked out well and fulfilled all the requirements. I did a 3 credit hour so I was eligible to apply to any school whereas 1-2 credits would eliminate some options. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Some community colleges such as LLTC (Lake Tahoe Community College) have 2 parts to Medical Terminology. Both are 4 quarter units. Do schools want both? or just 1? 

I've never seen a PA program that wants more than a single course.  There may be ones that do, but I don't expect they're common.  On the other hand, medical terminology is usually an easy A for pre-PA students, so even though ISTR it counts as English on CASPA, it's still a GPA booster, so why NOT take more if you have the time and money?

Thanks everyone!

Last question: Has anyone heard about Clovis College's 3 credit medical terminology class? I would prefer to take University of California-San Diego Extension's 1 credit version, but of course, this could eliminate some PA schools for me.

Which class did you end up taking? 

Archived